Airlock Started Bubbling Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Airlock and fermenter lid indicate there is newfound pressure in the fermenter after I took my first hydrometer reading last night. Today is Day 13 - it's still in primary. It's an EPA with an OG of 1.045, currently at 1.011. I dipped down below the krausen to get my sample, but didn't really move the fermenter at all enough to get any real agitation going on. I'm assuming I stirred up the yeast and fermentables enough to restart the process a little. It's not super vigorous, but it's similar to the kind of pressure I was getting around day 4.

This is my first batch ever, so I am going purely on other's experience here. Is this newfound attenuation a problem? Is it good? Is this just another one of those brewing mysteries that non-biochemists like myself will never comprehend?

I've delayed my dry hopping for now.

If there's krausen, leave it alone. It's still doin' it's thing.

Should I agitate it some more to seal the deal? I thought I wasn't supposed to move it around much at this point, but am surprised that I'm getting some serious yeast action this late in the game. Although, my 1.011 reading would indicate that there's not much left for them to do I guess.

As always, thanks for the input, wise ones.

If you hit three weeks and still have krausen, then you might start to think about doing something about it. I have an APA dry hopping right now and the krausen didn't fall for two weeks. And the funny thing is, a week later I transferred to secondary to dry hop and the next day it started up again. Airlock bubbling on the better bottle, particles swirling in a storm inside, thin layer of krausen formed and all.

If you hit three weeks and still have krausen, then you might start to think about doing something about it. I have an APA dry hopping right now and the krausen didn't fall for two weeks. And the funny thing is, a week later I transferred to secondary to dry hop and the next day it started up again. Airlock bubbling on the better bottle, particles swirling in a storm inside, thin layer of krausen formed and all.

Did fermentation actually restart, or is it the addition of the hops that allows all the co2 to be released from solution making fermentation to "appear" to have restarted?

Always wondered about this, I recently read something in BYO or Zymurgy about dry hopping and this phenomenon.

I would just remember to always rely on your hydrometer to tell you when the beer is complete. Your current gravity is 1.011. Just check that over the next 2-3 days to see if there is any change. If there is, your yeast are still going.

If there is no change, the bubbles are likely being caused by CO2 still coming out of solution after moving the primary. As long as the gravity is steady and close to the proposed FG, you'll be good to bottle/secondary.

Did fermentation actually restart, or is it the addition of the hops that allows all the co2 to be released from solution making fermentation to "appear" to have restarted?

Always wondered about this, I recently read something in BYO or Zymurgy about dry hopping and this phenomenon.

Can't say for sure, but it's been a week since I started the dry hop and it's bubbling and churning like it's fermenting. We also went from nice weather to showers and clouds so the air pressure drop could have an effect in bringing the CO2 out of solution, but this is a lot of action for that.

Either way, I'll be leaving it for now since this isn't exactly helping it clear.

Can't say for sure, but it's been a week since I started the dry hop and it's bubbling and churning like it's fermenting. We also went from nice weather to showers and clouds so the air pressure drop could have an effect in bringing the CO2 out of solution, but this is a lot of action for that.

Either way, I'll be leaving it for now since this isn't exactly helping it clear.

+1 to that, I ask because I will be dry hopping for the first time soon, and the article I read (which I cant remember which magazine) stated to be careful when adding dry hop additions because the hops (whole, pellet or plug) create a large surface area for all the co2 to cling to and release causing foaming. Having said that I haven't hears/read too much about it here.

Back