Airlock Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERR

Reaction score
Hello. I am a first time brewer, and I forgot to partially fill the airlock. It was in, but there was no water in it. About 36 hours into the fermentation, I realized my mistake. It's bubbling nicely now that I have put in some water. I wondered what the effects of my oversight might have on the beer.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I may be wrong about this, but part of the purpose of the water in the airlock is to keep air from going the other way, so it's possible air and nasties got to it at that time...

Don't worry about it as long as it's going stong, just have to wait and see how it turns out. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response. I hope a silly mistake like that doesn't ruin the batch!

I don't think you have anything to worry about since the build up of CO2 actually displaces any air inside the primary and acts as an exit/exhaust not intake.

As long as there was activity I wouldn't worry about it. :D

I brewed a brown ale and had a similar experience. Except instead the pressure built up and blew the cap and the inner piece out onto the floor. Sat there over night fully exposed. But, luckily I tasted no ill effects. One of my more favorite brews I have made actually.

Thanks for the additional information. I really went into this without knowing much of anything about brewing, which is why I did what I did. Anyway, it sounds like everything might turn out fine anyway!

Back