Airlock Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y3m1

Reaction score
Im a noob just on my 1st batch

I realised today that my airlock isnt bubbling its just got air bubbles in the water any ideas what could be the problem...

ive got the water half way in the air lock

any idea what the prob is ? (or if problem at all)

need more info, how long has it been fermenting? the air look not bubbling doesn't mean there is something wrong

How long has it been since you pitched the yeast? It can take up to 24 and sometimes even up to 48 hours for fermentation to really take off. If its been that long make sure your airlock is pushed down all the way and that your lid is on your bucket tight. The CO2 will take the path of least resistance so if that's not your airlock then no bubbles.

What kind of fermenter are you using? Carboy? Bucket? Other?

If a carboy, are you sure you have the stopper pushed into the neck all the way to form a tight seal?

If a bucket, the lid on the bucket may not seal well and there is likely little you can do about it.

The common disclaimer is.. bubbling is NOT a sign of fermentation. I'm assuming (and that's dangerous) that you are not using a carboy as you'd SEE activity going on.

When did you pitch your yeast? Yesterday, Today, Three days ago???

What was the temperature of the wort when you tossed in/pitched your yeast? Also, if you kept the yeast packet.. did it have an expiration date on it?

What temperature are you fermenting at? It could well be a higher temperature than you think because yeast metabolism creates heat on it's own.

Also, did you take an Original Gravity with a hydrometer? The hydrometer really is your friend. If you know where you started.. and three/five days from the start you should see a significant drop in specific gravity... but, if you read the "sticky" at the top of this beginner forum, you will see that.. yes, it can take 24-72 hours for fermentation to start. Never been more than about 12 hour for me.. but, I'd keep that in mind.

Anyhow, you should really post more information about:
What are you brewing.
What was the recipe
What was the yeast
What is the temperature in the fermenter?
probably other Etc's

Let us know..... We are here to help

Sorry Guys with the not enuf info

I m using the bucket type fermenter, (Standerd DIY Cooper Set)
The Temp at the time i placed the yeast was around 74 degrees
It was set around 24 hours ago
The current temp of the fermenter is around 70
Im brewing a coopers Stout from just the WORT
And the yeast is the one that came with the WORT container

Any other info Just ask

Couple of points.. you are brewing the Coopers Stout from the EXTRACT. It's not really wort until you mix it with the hot water in your DIY.

The DIY is the new Coopers fermenter. They are great, IMO.. but there is no place to put an airlock unless you have the old Coopers fermenter... unless they have changed in the past year.

So, here, there is NO place to visually see ferment activity as the slip fit between the krausen collar and the fermenter.. as well as the loose fitting lid would allow gas to escape all to easily. Never Fear... it's not a problem. If you carefully lift the lid off your fermenter and peak in.. you should see dome bubbles..if not.. wait a couple more days.

I'm hoping you used the hydrometer that came with the kit. While it's not necessary to make good beer, it will be helpful in telling you if your beer is ready to bottle... The instructions in the kit will not be a good indicator of when to bottle. If I remember correctly, the suggestion is to let it ferment for 5 days and bottle. Let it sit for another week and drink. That type of instruction coming in a kit should be banned.

Keep asking questions here. Also, do a search on Coopers.. you will find a wealth of information on the forum(s) here. Also, it's fun to go to YouTube and watch the Coopers grand poobah.. Craig.. he has a lot of experience and you can learn something from his videos... especially the older ones.. not so much his "homebrew wednesday" videos.

At this point, assume everything is fine. Too early to worry.

Maybe check that the lid is securely sealed and the airlock is securely seated, but the active fermentation may not have started yet. I'd expect you'll see activity eventually, probably within another 24-48 hours, as long as your lid is a reasonably tight fit. After that if you haven't seen anything, I'd probably crack the lid a bit just to see if there's evidence of krausen. If not, that would be the time to take action.

Latest posts

Back