Airlock foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerj

Reaction score
So I started my first batch, it's an oatmeal stout. It's been fermenting for about a day and now my airlock is foaming I took it off and cleaned it but it keeps happening. I'm using a plastic container. Any tips?

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

If the airlock gets gunked up it could blow the lid (literally) and make a huge mess. Search "blow off tube". It allows the CO2/krausen/gunk to escape without clogging/pressure build up.

You can pop the top of the container and just have it rest lightly on top and let it off gas for a spell until it calms down. Or you can attach a sanitized blow off tube to the air lock into another container until it subsides... Foam in the air lock doesn't hurt much, unless enough gets in it to clog it up...

+1 on using a blow off tube. Also, on the bottom of the airlock there is probably a piece of plastic shaped like a plus sign - you can break that off and it will help prevent that tube from clogging.

Thank you I'll have to try the loosen the lid for now

Also, check the temperature of your fermentation. Higher temps= more vigorous fermentation=greater chance of blowoff, but also can mean off-flavor byproducts. If the temp. is higher than it should be, better cool it down.

Hey there. I'm very new myself but I'm wondering if the foam you see is the sanitizer bubbling up or the krausen from the carboy

My airlock has had a bit of foam from the sanatizer in the airlock ever since it started to bubble. I do not think its a problem since its just sanatizer.

I did have krausen blow up and out of the airlock yesterday and I cleaned up the airlock and put it back in.

Just wondering as your description sounds very similar to what I'm seeing and we're about identical for fermenting time

The krausen was foaming out through the air lock. I removed the lid for a bit and put it back on seems to be fine for now. I also lowered the temperature of my room hopeing that that will help.

But as I said that I looked of and it's still doing the samething

Back