airlock fill line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
So I put together my first batch of apfelwein a couple weeks ago, I put it away and forgot about it. Today I noticed that the level of liquid was below the fill line. When I filled it back up, it started bubbling away again. What's the deal?

Many things besides active fermentation can cause bubbles. Anything that can displace CO2 in the lees or solution can cause out gassing.

For instance, if you removed the airlock to fill it and then replaced it, you would have increased the pressure in the head space enough to cause bubbling. If you shook the fermentor you could have dislodged CO2 pockets from the lees or caused dissolved CO2 to come out of solution.

This often happens to me when I switch airlocks to clean and refill them, or even just from shifting the fermentor a little.

i think rmedved was asking why his air lock was low on water. my question is what did you put in there? it is recommended that you put clear liquor or no rinse sanitizer solution in there. also, what kind of airlock is it? 3 piece or "S" shaped?

it could have just evaporated, or if you put sanitizer in there, it could have slowly crawled out, one bubble at a time.

i think rmedved was asking why his air lock was low on water. my question is what did you put in there? it is recommended that you put clear liquor or no rinse sanitizer solution in there. also, what kind of airlock is it? 3 piece or "S" shaped?

it could have just evaporated, or if you put sanitizer in there, it could have slowly crawled out, one bubble at a time.

Never said it was water, it's actually vodka. It's a 3 piece airlock. I was a curious as to why it would have started bubbling again and if it being well below the fill line could have caused any problems

Never said it was water, it's actually vodka. It's a 3 piece airlock. I was a curious as to why it would have started bubbling again and if it being well below the fill line could have caused any problems

It's fine. RDWHAHB :mug: You've got cider on the way! :ban:

These things happen on occasion, and unless it was dried out for weeks or months, in all likely hood the CO2 in the head space wasn't even disturbed. Alcohol has a lower vapor point than water does, so it will evaporate quicker, but unflavored vodka still makes a good choice for filling your airlock. You might want to take look a little more often to make sure it doesn't get that low again.:D

Why vodka or sanitizer? What's wrong with clean distiller water? I'm a noob and am curious

Many people do use water. Many people use vodka or sanitizer in case there is any suck back, which can happen if the temperature drops suddenly. The thought is you are sucking in a sanitary or sterile solution in to the fermentor and not stagnant water, and either will stop fruit flies dead in their tracks.

Back