Airlock fell down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airidas

Reaction score
Hello first time mead brewer here, i have problem - yesterday after work i checked my mead and airlock fell down, i dont know how much time it was like that but not more then 12 hours, mead was in dresser under fabric bag. When i saw it i grabbed airlock filled it whit water and stick it right back. Maybe someone from my family accidently hit it while searching something, its now 7 day into fermentation and mead is still producing bubbles every second , can it go bad because of it?

not likely. If there is gas being produced, the flow is OUT of the fermenter. Sure, something could have fell back in, but odds that's not going to happen especially if there's any solid amount of alcohol already in there. You should fill that air lock with some sanitizer or vodka instead of water for good measure ;)

How long has it been fermenting? Just like cannman said, if there's any alcohol in there you should be good. So, if ferment has been going long enough, the alcohol in the brew will kill off any bacteria. But for next time, I would recommend sanitizing the airlock prior to plugging it back in. Moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria and if there was any on the airlock, there's a chance germs could grow on it while it was off the carboy. But honestly, you should be fine.

Back