airlock exploding off top of carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lvhomebrewdad

Reaction score
so yesterday was my brewday. i made a brew from northern brewer. everything went well got it into carboy. let it do its thing checked it before i went to bed. there was some yeasty activity. woke up this morning checked it sometime during the night the yeast had a serious party and had exploded out the top and by exploded i mean EXPLODED. not sure what to do after i clean up the mess that my wife is now pissed about lol.

any thoughts would be awesome.

Check up on how to set up a blow off tube , that will help when the yeast are super busy. And what's the temperature of your carboy?

i couldnt tell you what temp it is now with out taking a sample as for some reason the thermo on the side of the carboy is/not working. though it was so im guessing over 82. I had placed it in a dark cool corner of my house. lol it shot 5 feet up to hit the ceiling

Whoa, over 82! You might have made paint thinner. Keeping the temp of the beer within the yeast's specified range is one of the most important factors in making great beer. For most styles I keep it in the lower end of the range. You can look into a simple swamp cooler if you don't have the means to use a fridge.

yea im working on getting it cooled off now lol. it was at 68 yesterday when i got it into the carboy which is what the kit said to have it at.

Blow off tube will help avoid that in the future. If you don't have a fridge or swap cooler then maybe using a cooler that your carboy can fit in and use cool water to get temp under control.

I use a rope tub with some picnic cooler ice pack freezer things, or what ever they are called in the states. You can freeze water in soda bottles and swop them morning and evening in the rope tub to help cool tempreture.

At least it wasn't something like a blueberry stout, which would probably call for repainting the walls.

A couple drops of Fermcap, careful temperature control, and a blowoff tube will greatly, greatly reduce the likelihood of that ever happening again.

Now the important Q - how do we get your wife un-pissed so you can continue with this hobby without interference?

thanks all for the input. as for wife being un pissed. well luckly im a damn good cook thats on the track to being a chef :).

Back