Airlock action 5 days after rerack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude76

Reaction score
I recently reracked my mead after it was sitting in a Carlo Rossi jug for about 7 months. I expected the airlock to be dormant after 2 days but it's still popped and has tiny little bubbles in the water. Is this a cause for concern? Should I just bottle it now and let it finish conditioning in the bottle? On a somewhat related note, is it a cardinal sin to make mead with bulk honey?

Quite the opposite on the bulk honey, I am jealous of those that can buy honey in bulk, I have yet to find a source locally and haven't ventured into online purchasing yet. And the bubbles, they may just be some dissolved co2 degassing from your brew. How much activity are you seeing and is it still going on? If it is just degassing then you can just let it age out or degass it actively. It is possible it is not done fermenting, either was working slowly, or the yeast went dormant until you racked. Did you confirm a complete fermentation by SG reading?

glorybee.com is where i get my bulk honey, they are the best, make sure you buy raw honey, treated honey leaves something to be desired
funny, i just was about to go on a tiraid about degassing but i see tusch beat me to it

The only thing I see is the thingy popped up and tiny little bubbles, so degassing makes sense. If it will not harm it, I would rather let it go naturally. I did not measure the SG because I am not sure what it is supposed to be at. I think because it is dry that it should be between .995 and 1.020? I am going to test it later today.
The bulk honey I was referring to is the blended, treated kind you get from Costco or GFS. I want to start making 5 gallon batches and do not have a ton of money to spend on ingredients.

On the honey, we all gotta start somewhere. If its cheapo honey just in big containers, its not bad, though not the greatest if used in a straight/traditional honey without any other flavorings. And for the degassing, just let it sit for another month or two (or however long you can stand waiting) that should give the co2 enough time to find its way out.

Brewdude I have heard you know a thing or two about degassing... Good luck on the mead I am looking forward to a bottle comming my way...:mug:

Back