Airlines serving good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I was on a Virgin America flight last night and got myself a can of 21st Amendment's Brew Free or Die IPA. Best flight ever.

Has anyone else seen quality beer on a flight? This was a first for me.

Nope. Heineken if I'm lucky. Even in luxury airliners - though to be fair, the only luxury liners I've flown in were in Asia. Try finding good beer there.

Nope, nothing ever really out of the usual. My Virgin flights to London though always have Fuller's London Pride which I love.

I remember when Delta was the first airline to start charging for beer. On the way home from Germany I took a few cans of Paulaner hefeweizen aboard with me and was drinking a few. After my second I went to throw out the can in the trash and the attendant snatched it out of my hand and examined it. She then scowled and said, "You can't drink your own beer on this flight since we sell beer!!". I said, "You sell snacks too... does that mean I can't eat my gummy bears?". She responded, "If you'd like I can inform the captain and he can have the authorities notified for arrival". Can you believe that crap!?? So after she took two steps away I popped open another and drank away. Except after that I made sure to hide the cans in the seat pocket.

Ever since that experience I have never flown Delta again and never will. Funny how they don't even think they can lose a customer for life over something so miniscule. Of course other airlines followed suite after that, but I will never fly Delta again.

Rev.

I've heard that Horizon air has free beer and wine from the northwest, but I haven't flown it so I can't confirm that.

I know some airlines are toying around with adding better wine, which might encourage them to stock nicer beer. However, you need to look at it on a financial standpoint; they are less likely to spend more money on premium beers if they are trying to cut back on costs, in my opinion.
You need to remember that majority of the US public drink cheap beer to begin with. We are the exception.

Good beer doesn't belong in those crappy little plastic cups. Oh stewardess, I'll have a vodka please.

Any Canadians or people who have heard of Porter, it's a small airline based out of toronto city center airport. They have free steamwhistle on all their flights. Steamehistle's an excellent pilsner brewed in downtown Toronto. Normally premium priced, FOR FREE!!

I was on a flight a couple years ago. I can't remember the airline, but They had free beer and wine. I got a 20 year old kid a Pyramid Hefeweizen (he got coffee and we switched). I think I made his day.

ChshreCat said:
The airline is named Porter, and they serve a pilsner? What's wrong with this? ;)

Haha I thought that as I was writing it. they've got mini bottles of wine too, but I don't know the first thing about wine haha

I flew Royal Dutch Airlines in 2008 and the wine was free. As was the Bailey's in my coffee. Not bad, considering I was only 20 at the time..:p

Air New Zealand serves Speight's Gold Medal Ale, which is pretty decent. Although on a transpacific flight, the cost of 'free' beer is a drop in the bucket. Or Ale Pail ;)

Back