Air Roasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local coffee place air roasts coffee and I have discovered I prefer that. Are there any "home air roasters" available? Or do I need to Frankenstein a popcorn maker or something?

My local coffee place air roasts coffee and I have discovered I prefer that. Are there any "home air roasters" available? Or do I need to Frankenstein a popcorn maker or something?

Down the rabbithole you go...

I had the same question here a few years ago. I think you'll find a ton of info here: ☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Roasting does smell awesome, but it produces a lot of smoke - you don't want to do it indoors.

Oh no ... I've found the Sweet Maria's website .....
That's where I get my green coffee. It's only 10 minutes from my house. I've been roasting for maybe 10 years. Check out the Behmor 1600 Plus, drum roaster will comfortably do 12 oz. I do it in the garage by a window and have a fan going, still smokes up the garage and my neighbors smell it :)

I'll keep an eye on that if I go this route. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of an air-popper to see if I even like it. $20 for an air popper and #4 of green beans sounds like a hell of a deal to dip my toe in. Given my propensity to "control temperatures" it seems like a small stretch to apply that knowledge to something new should I want to expand. :)

Wife has used a FreshRoast SR500 for quite some time. Handles 4 oz. of green beans in around 9-10 min., and she usually roasts a pound per session. Started roasting in the garage, but a vent hood upgrade added to a kitchen remodel allows her to use the unit on her range top (especially nice in the winter) without overpowering the household air. Gets most of her supplies from Burman Coffee in Wisconsin.

Back