Air lock vacuum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McChub

Reaction score
Every time I use a 6.5 gallon bucket to ferment the airlock creates a vacuum so if I have to pull it off it sucks the sanitizer into the fermenter. Has anyone had this problem and if so how can I avoid it?

+1 on using cheap vodka. Also is very handy if you cold crash or lager because the airlock will freeze.

The S type airlocks filled to the proper level will not suck back. Also useful for cold crashing and lagering.

DSmith said:
+1 on using cheap vodka. Also is very handy if you cold crash or lager because the airlock will freeze.

The S type airlocks filled to the proper level will not suck back. Also useful for cold crashing and lagering.

What temp should I crash at I ferment in a fridge so I can just turn the controller down

McChub said:
Every time I use a 6.5 gallon bucket to ferment the airlock creates a vacuum so if I have to pull it off it sucks the sanitizer into the fermenter. Has anyone had this problem and if so how can I avoid it?

That much sanitizer won't hurt a thing.

Back