air lock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
Well i brewed my second brew today (a hefe) and i realized that my carboy cap didnt fit my carboy! What should i do? Right now I have it sitting in the fermentation fridge with saran wrap. I have not pitched the yeast yet. Should i grab some tinfoil (santize) and pitch the yeast or wait till tomarrow after I get off work to run to the LHBS to pick up a cap? Thanks again in advance.

Pitch the yeast, sanitize a piece of tinfoil, and cover the cap of your carboy with that tinfoil. If that thought makes you paranoid, you can always grab a stopper tomorrow, or just put a rubber band around that carboy cap.

If the other threads within the last 15 minutes are any indication, someone will soon chime in with the reasons why tinfoil is bad. Ignore them, and trust in science. As long as you don't have an insect problem (fruit flies especially) tinfoil will work just fine. I've used tinfoil exclusively for many batches, and it works like a champ.

ok ill go ahead and rock the tinfoil in a few minutes. I have a question though, how tight should the tinfoil be on the carboy, Id assume that I would leave it a bit loose to let the co2 escape. This will be a temporary fix until tomorrow.

Last three batches I've done I've used tinfoil (thanks Pseudochef) I just crimp it down on top and let it go. For secondaries I've used an airlock. No infections, no problems so far.

Tinfoil works great. I have done this many times and no problems. CO2 covers your beer so nothing get's in. Some would not admit this either. :)

Back