Air in beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinFam

Reaction score
Noob question. Is it normal to have pockets of air in the beer line or should it be solid full of beer? I seem to be getting pockets of air which seems to be causing lots of foam while dispensing the beer. It's a 6 foot line into a picnic tap.
Thanks.

It's probably not air, but CO2 that has come out of solution. The beer inside the line will be flat.

Are the keg, line, and picnic tap all inside a refrigerator? At what temp and what pressure?
What's the internal diameter (ID) of your beer line?

6' of (typical) 3/16" ID line is definitely too short when dispensed at 12 psi. That gives you excessive foaming.
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Oops yes CO2,
the keg, line, and picnic tap are all inside a refrigerator. Temp 36° , Pressure 12PSI , Diameter (ID) of your beer line 3/16". And yes lots of foam. I have to release keg pressure, set to 3-4 psi to dispense but still lots of foam but better.

A longer line is the only solution. 12' of 3/16" ID probably. But that also lets more oxygen in. Not good for beer, especially hoppier ones.

Look into using EVA Barrier line, instead, push-fit adapters and all.
6-9' of 4mm ID line should be long enough for 12 psi at 36F. And it keeps oxygen out of your dispensing system, as well as out of the headspace of your kegs.

Thank you IslandLizard for your kegging wisdom. Getting my beer tower Monday, might have more questions when it is installed.✌️

I had a similar issue with my Komos kegerator. Definitely want to increase line length, but I also found that making sure my line was coiled together and set on top of the keg made a huge difference. If it sits below the keg at all, it often leads to air pockets.

Back