air in beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
So im on my 3rd 58L keg the current one is a cream ale that is definitely more sensitive to pour.

I only have a 6' beer line that worked perfect at 14psi with a blonde lager but I just ordered 12' lines for this ale to hope it slows the pour enough to prevent foaming as even at 10psi I am getting 50/50 pours AT BEST...

The one concern I have before trying the new line length is that the 1st 3" of beer line or so coming from the sanke D coupler has no beer in it and is just "co2" I know this will definitely cause some foaming too but have no idea how to correct it... ive tried depressurizing it a few times but always ends up the exact same.

any ideas?

This is with using a a fridge, not keezer, clean lines and coupler, fridge temp is around 42F if im right. lines are above keg, and I use a pass through shank so lines are inside fridge to be same temp. tried using a wet glass ect... the beer pretty well comes out as foam right now.

Bevlex200 Thick wall 3/16" X 7/16" line is what im using

pretty well what I have going on here.... pic for reference... not actually mine.

2144d1300329455-air-pockets-beer-line-causing-excess-foam-beerairpock2-jpg

I don't know about the sanke but when that happens on the corny kegs the "o" ring on the serving post is usually bad. There is CO2 getting into that line from inside the keg.

I don't know about the sanke but when that happens on the corny kegs the "o" ring on the serving post is usually bad. There is CO2 getting into that line from inside the keg.

On the post or the poppet?

hmm.. so would have to pretty well see if theres any nicks in the seal when i compress the valve....

I was also reading if the pressure is too low it can cause c02 to separate from the beer, however I doubt that is the issue seeing even at 14psi (with a too fast pour rate with 6ft lines) it ideally did the same thing....

I guess my best bet IF it is the keg seal is to call the brewery and see what they can do about it... not ideal seeing its a 2hour drive each way to their shop -.- and the keg was just tapped this passed weekend

Ears are open to more input!

I should add... it foams every pour...

curious... if the "transport" was a little rougher and the keg got shaken a litle more then avg causing even after letting it sit for 24 hours before tapping would that cause over carb and result in my issue?

Make sure you're matching the pressure with the carb level in the keg, otherwise the beer will be overcarbonated relative to the current pressure, and will foam until the carb level drops to match your regulator.

Most commercial kegs are carbed around 2.7 volumes. So at 42 degrees you'd need 15-16 psi. If you want the exact number for the keg, I've found that most breweries are happy to tell you if you shoot them an e-mail.

I would have to call and speak with one of the "brew masters" as most of the workers there deal with "sales" and are not overly knowledgeable in that kind of info on their beer as i've asked before.

It is a microbrewery so its a "inhouse" brewed beer, but I would presume your pretty well on the spot as far as volume...

I know their blonde lager I had pour real nice with perfect head and poured fast with a 5-6ft line with no foam issues and no problems of c02 gaps in the line.

This cream ale as soon as you pour you can see solution separate in the line right above the sanke. (I didn't check if it did it else where) as I didnt look into it much until now.

so I guess at this point its pretty well wait and test the 12ft line at 15-16psi and see if I still get c02 gaps in my line.

Would I be able to just up my psi to 15-16 (after purging) with the 5ft line and see if it still separates?

Yup, that should work. Even if it pours like crap with the short line, it shouldn't separate when the beer is static.

thanks for all the help lads... brought it to 15psi and voila lines are perfect.. comes out fast.. 1st pour im getting roughly 50/50 but 2nd is do able is a large mug... with 12ft lines it will prob be solid i could prob get away with 8-10ft

shocked that 1-2psi can make that much of a dif in this.. just to show how touchy these systems can be from beer type to beer type

thanks for all the help lads... brought it to 15psi and voila lines are perfect.. comes out fast.. 1st pour im getting roughly 50/50 but 2nd is do able is a large mug... with 12ft lines it will prob be solid i could prob get away with 8-10ft

shocked that 1-2psi can make that much of a dif in this.. just to show how touchy these systems can be from beer type to beer type

:mug:

Back