AIO or ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
As the title states, I recently learned how super easy is is to have a 240v outlet installed in the garage. I was previously thinking I would get the Grainfather G40, but also looked at @spike solo, if they get any in stock. Any other options I should consider?

Thanks!

Grainfather Series G40/S40/G30

Brewzilla

SSBrewtech SVBS

Spike Solo

Anvil Foundry

Blichman Breweasy

Speidel Braumeister

Brewtools

ClawHammer (Biabasket)

High Gravity Brewing (custom eBiab)

Brew Hardware (custom eBiab)

The list goes on and on... All have their pluses and minuses.

You'll need to do your research as to how each system works. My favorites are the Braumeister and the Grainfather. Brewtools has come a long way. SSBrewtech is new on the scene and could use some polishing. Anvil and Brewzilla have been around but are cheaper builds. Pot based builds like Blichman, Spike, Clawhammer, High Gravity, Brew hardware are always an option but will have external hardware such as pumps and controllers not integrated into a base unit.

Another popular option is to put together an eBIAB system from a custom pot (Spike, etc...) and build a custom controller from a PID or an Auber Instruments EZBoil controller, with your selection of BIAB and pump.

None of the systems are superior to the others in terms of quality of wort produced - that is a product of how the system is used by the end user. The Braumeister has an accessory option for a low O2 cap while mashing. Most of the others would require custom mash caps for low O2. Brewtools recently updated their system with a recirculation manifold accessory such that the wort isn't splashed while recirculating. Most other systems are hose based such that the hose can be placed under the wort on top of the grain bed.

Be aware that some of the systems require L1, L2, G wiring (due to non-US origins) but there are some that require L1, L2, G, N wiring. If you do get a plug installed make sure it's L1, L2, G, N just in case (which should be standard today). Unless you are going to go for a 110V system which is slower to heat than a 220V. If you do buy a non-US (European) system you'll most likely have to cut the plug off and wire on one that works for the outlet you've installed.

Last edited:
As the title states, I recently learned how super easy is is to have a 240v outlet installed in the garage. I was previously thinking I would get the Grainfather G40, but also looked at @spike solo, if they get any in stock. Any other options I should consider?

Thanks!
You just missed out pre-sale! Everything will be back in stock when our new panel launches in about 3 weeks!

SS Brewtech introduced an all-in-one earlier this year. I bought one and love it. SVBS | Single Vessel Brewing System

I also have a three vessel electric HERMS system I bought from High Gravity Brewing that I've used for several years.
https://highgravitybrew.com/collections/electric-brewing-systems
One of the things I like about buying from High Gravity is that you can pick and choose many of the components. You get the option to choose the components you want. The owner is also very good at responding to questions with solid answers.

@huckdavidson spelled out lots of options. One thing to consider about the very buttoned-down, integrated AIO systems: if the controller or integrated pump fails, the system is basically a brick, especially if replacement parts have become unavailable.

So I favor some modularity to avoid that. I have had good experience with Auber Instruments, and with BrewHardware.com (proprietor: @Bobby_M). Bobby's eBIAB with Auber controller is a great example of a modular system. Spike's new controller panel also seems worth considering, though Auber has been doing it for a long time.

Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go, @hilljack13 .

You just missed out pre-sale! Everything will be back in stock when our new panel launches in about 3 weeks!
I got the email and didn't have all my info together. Sold out quick! Now about the Flex+ coming in...soon?

One thing to consider about the very buttoned-down, integrated AIO systems: if the controller or integrated pump fails, the system is basically a brick, especially if replacement parts have become unavailable.

So I favor some modularity to avoid that.
I’ve been considering this exact thing as I finish my ebiab controller, and coming from a propane burner where I would always have an extra tank just in case.

Does anyone keep spare parts around, and if so what would be most likely failure points on brew day? I was considering having a backup pump and maybe an SSR, or an element, but not sure what’s overkill. My system is very spartan with only one of each.

Grainfather Series G40/S40/G30

Brewzilla

SSBrewtech SVBS

Spike Solo

Anvil Foundry

Blichman Breweasy

Speidel Braumeister

Brewtools

ClawHammer (Biabasket)

High Gravity Brewing (custom eBiab)

Brew Hardware (custom eBiab)

The list goes on and on... All have their pluses and minuses.

You'll need to do your research as to how each system works. My favorites are the Braumeister and the Grainfather. Brewtools has come a long way. SSBrewtech is new on the scene and could use some polishing. Anvil and Brewzilla have been around but are cheaper builds. Pot based builds like Blichman, Spike, Clawhammer, High Gravity, Brew hardware are always an option but will have external hardware such as pumps and controllers not integrated into a base unit.

Another popular option is to put together an eBIAB system from a custom pot (Spike, etc...) and build a custom controller from a PID or an Auber Instruments EZBoil controller, with your selection of BIAB and pump.

None of the systems are superior to the others in terms of quality of wort produced - that is a product of how the system is used by the end user. The Braumeister has an accessory option for a low O2 cap while mashing. Most of the others would require custom mash caps for low O2. Brewtools recently updated their system with a recirculation manifold accessory such that the wort isn't splashed while recirculating. Most other systems are hose based such that the hose can be placed under the wort on top of the grain bed.

Be aware that some of the systems require L1, L2, G wiring (due to non-US origins) but there are some that require L1, L2, G, N wiring. If you do get a plug installed make sure it's L1, L2, G, N just in case (which should be standard today). Unless you are going to go for a 110V system which is slower to heat than a 220V. If you do buy a non-US (European) system you'll most likely have to cut the plug off and wire on one that works for the outlet you've installed.
Probably one of the fairest and comprehensive posts ever on competing AIO systems. I was an early adopter of Braumeister. I love it and have never looked back. But it’s expensive, and is a ‘mature’ product line. All improvements are incremental and evolutionary. The upside: the design is robust and built to last.

That said, I’m also a fan boy for SS Brewtech as well as Spike. For innovation and quality, you can’t go wrong with either one. I especially like the design of the SVBS system that Brewtech offers. I’ve never seen Grainfather in action and can’t speak to it’s performance, but it certainly does have a strong popularity among brewers on this forum.

Wiring for 220/240V power is straightforward, but even this son-of-an-electrician chose to pay an expert tradesman $100 to do the job ($75 just to ‘roll the truck’), but I got the job done quickly and professionally in exactly the location I wanted, plus got a GFI recurring issue fixed which had been giving me headaches for some time. $$$ well spent.

I’ve been considering this exact thing as I finish my ebiab controller, and coming from a propane burner where I would always have an extra tank just in case.

Does anyone keep spare parts around, and if so what would be most likely failure points on brew day? I was considering having a backup pump and maybe an SSR, or an element, but not sure what’s overkill. My system is very spartan with only one of each.
While planning and acquiring parts for my own gear, I spent days to weeks constantly looking up every online mention I could find for each specific model of any component I was considering; The only PID failures I've ever encountered involved un-branded no-name Aliexpress and Amazon ones. Inkbird and Auber have pretty much perfect records.....SSR's have overwhelmingly been the cause of most failures, namely when they're the cheap ones. There's a few popular Inkbird/SSR combo's online and the SSR included seems to be reliable, but I've seen a number of failures reported for what appears to be the same SSR, but bought seperately from other sellers. I've never seen complaint about Auber's UL certified SSR, and yeah it costs a bit more but I keep a spare of that on hand.
I've never had a pump fail, but keep a spare MP-15RM in my cupboard..you get those cheap off ebay and I found it to be surprisingly reliable given it's price.
Just make sure to use the correct gauge wires with firm and properly sized connectors, properly and cleanly tightened down..these are the cause of even more failures than faulty SSRs.

Was just watching a video on the most recent update for the Anvil Foundry’s hardware. Admire how they’re continuing to update their product based on discovery of better methods and such.

I’ve been toying with the idea of “upgrading” from my foundry to a breweasy compact. Not convinced just yet.

Buy what you can afford and adapt your brewing accordingly.

I use two Mash & Boil units. With my pumps I’ve spent about $650, which is less than most of the other AIO’s on the market. And I brew good beer.

And don’t get hung up on the 110v/220v argument.

I think the AIOs are pretty cool. Since I like to pursue low oxygen brewing, I use the Anvil Foundry 10.5 as a part of my setup instead of the only piece. I think it is well made and a good value. I use it as a mash tun as well as holding my chiller water. The pump is plenty for what I use it for and actually have it turned way down for the mash recirc via PWM controller to reduce shear stress. The chiller alone is kind of weak but it fits inside the NY Homebrew 50ft 1/2" chiller coils which gives me a lot more surface area after some "T" adapters.

So these are good values if used alone or as a specific part of a setup imho. Holding specific mash temps is the most hardware specific task on brew day imho and that is where these units shine.

Back