AHS Texas Kolsch .. 3 weeks fermentation ... cold crashing? Need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

Thanks everyone for always being quick to respond and helpful. This forum rocks :)

So I have another question for the board that I didn't see specifically addressed in the search area.

I have a Texas Kolsch from Austin Homebrew Supply that has been fermenting for 3 weeks as of last Sunday in the primary (so far I have yet to secondary, may not ever do it except for dry hopping/fruit additions). This brew was subjected to a number of mistakes (floating thermometer exploded in it, forgot 3 lbs of DME that I had to add late ((10 minutes after I pitched yeast))). This was my 3rd brew so try not to judge too hard. I strained the wort before I transferred to primary fermenter to get all the thermometer junk out.

At any rate

I decided on Sunday to stick the Kolsch in my refrigerator with my keg (which I have been loving). I suppose the fridge is around 40 or so. I started thinking my keg will be tapped by the end of the week (judging by how light it was last night :( haven't been able to keep my ass out of the fridge) but was told by the guy at the Austin Homebrew Supply to cold crash for just three days then bottle/keg. My question is ..

Will allowing the beer to "cold crash" or sit in my refrigerator a few more days hurt it? Is there any drawbacks/negatives to not bottling it up tonight? I would like to tap the irish red and move the kolsch into that since I figure it will be soon.

Thanks for all your advice and help ...

P.S. - To avoid making another thread for this, I have a quick second question. Last Thursday night I added 2 oz's of falconers flight hops to my falconers flight IPA. I added straight to the primary fermenter. The FF was 2 weeks when I dry hopped, so it will have been dry hopping for one week tomorrow. Being the genius that I am, I pulled out the air lock and held it in my hand while I poured the hops into my carboy then without sanitizing the stopper/air lock I stuck it back on (I was a few homebrews in and was out of sanitizer anyway). Will that pose any risk for contamination?

Kolsch and keg.jpg

Kolsch.jpg

Sorry for sideways photos .... stupid iPhone

That's a dark looking Kolsch, huh?

the longer the better on the cold crash

i wouldn't worry about the airlock incident.

Back