AHS Session Series Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neutrino

Reaction score
First, this is a great forum - been lurking for a while... lots of helpful information here... thank you!

Now, the reason I have de-lurked (?) myself. I have always made Coopers kits but have decided to explore some specialty grain kits. I bought the AHS Session Series Brown Porter (Extract) kit and there's one step in there that surprises me. In the instructions, it tells me to add the extract (6lbs of it) after the boil (so you're basically boiling the stuff you extract from the speciality grains, plus hops). This seems like a different approach than most extract kits I've seen (and doesn't seem to square with the books I've read). That said, AHS seems like a really good bunch who know what they are doing. Thoughts? I'm going to brew this afternoon with luck, and am wondering what to do.

N.

Thanks - that helps a great deal! I knew the information would be on here somewhere, but didn't know where to look!

N.

As I didn't see much about this kit in the forums, so I thought I'd just close this thread out by letting folks know how it turned out... the answer is AWESOME. Pitched at 74F, fermented for 10 days at about the same temperature. OG 1.055, FG 1.012. Bottled a little while ago, and had the first real taste tonight. It's not fully carbonated yet (no surprise there), but it tastes wonderful. I'll definitely try this kit again. Best brew so far. Gah... now I'm addicted. Of course, now I've got to wait just a little longer, as I'm sure it's going to keep improving for a while.

N.

Back