AHS American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
I just ordered the promotional IPA that they are selling right now, I love IPA's so couldnt pass up on the price. This is my first IPA to brew, and also first time to brew a kit from online usually go to LHBS. Just wondering if anyone has brewed this yet and if there are any tips/tweaks that anyone did with the recipe that made it better, or anything that I could do so I wont end up with an eh beer but a DAMN!!! beer. BTW it is extract kit, and I got the dry yeast Nottingham, never made a starter so didnt want to cross that bridge yet.

I've brewed with AHS ingredients before and the quality is excellent. Specifically I've brewed the American Pale Ale, The American Wheat Ale and the "Stimulus Package Brown Ale" All with great success. One thing I would do differently is make a starter. I don't feel like I get enough of a vigorous ferment with the supplied dry yeast. I usually pitch it to a small starter and let it grow for 24-36 hours or until the yeasties are at full tilt (Lots of fermentation and high krausen). Beware of infection if you do this. Be meticulous, but don't be afraid of the starter. Good luck!

I have YET to get a kit from AHS that has been less than stellar. I cant give them enough praise for having some incredulous kits available. (But then again I think Ive only used their kits - everything else has been recipes that I pieced together)

Follow the instructions on the kit, you wont be disappointed.
-Me

I've brewed with AHS ingredients before and the quality is excellent. Specifically I've brewed the American Pale Ale, The American Wheat Ale and the "Stimulus Package Brown Ale" All with great success. One thing I would do differently is make a starter. I don't feel like I get enough of a vigorous ferment with the supplied dry yeast. I usually pitch it to a small starter and let it grow for 24-36 hours or until the yeasties are at full tilt (Lots of fermentation and high krausen). Beware of infection if you do this. Be meticulous, but don't be afraid of the starter. Good luck!

If he is using DRY yeast a starter is not necessary (in fact suggested to NOT make a starter)

Just rehydrate your DRY yeasties and let em rip.
Liquid yeast on the other hand DOES almost always require a starter.
-Me

No starter with the Dry Notty... if your lag is long or the fermentation not very vigorous, I'd bet you didn't oxygenate well.

A for AHS kits, I've had great luck with all that I've tried. Leave it alone the first time... tweak to your taste the 2nd.

I got that kit also. I will be brewing it up this week sometime. I have used Austin for all of mine as well. No looking back.

I'll actually be bottling the AHS Promo. American IPA in a few days! Save a few bottles of yours, we can swap a few and compare if you're interested.

I have not done this specific kit.. however, I have brewed quite a few of their other kits. Every single one has been awesome. Great recipes, high quality ingredients; I am sure you will be impressed.

Back