Agitated Environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyhead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... I happen to be a merchant mariner, ie. sailor, and though we're not allowed to have alcoholic beverages aboard a vessel in an official capacity, I'm just curious if anyone living on a boat has tried to ferment beer in a shipboard environment, ie. a constantly agitated fermentation.
If you keep the vessel air tight (the fermenter, I mean) and you prevent bacterial infection, what kind of bad effects can be expected with a constantly rolling fermenter, or will it keep the yeast active enough that I'll get a higher attenuation without actually introducing oxygen?
Really I have no idea, just looking to see if anyone has tried brewing on a boat (aside from a grog-type mixture) and if it would be feasible to open a nano-brewery on a boat (if you could keep everything tied down)?

I'd hang the fermenter on the ceiling of your cabin. It would reduce the movement I think....

I believe it wouldn't affect the fermentation itself, but would have a huge impact on clearing...

Latest posts

Back