Aging & yeast counts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuxAeterna

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I made an all grain Belgian-style wheat ale two weeks before Christmas when I was staying at my father's house. I made a 10 gallon batch with my neighbor, both of us using a different yeast to compare flavors later. I should also note we forgot the irish moss. For some reason the finished wort in my glass carboy looked very murky in color in comparison to his, so I decided I could try to improve the appearance by cold crashing it. Problem is, I realized I had to return to school before I could bottle the weekend of New Years. I pulled it out of the fridge before leaving, but the carboy has been aging in my father's basement for quite a while now (approx 8.5 weeks). The color is much better, and so is the taste; I can't wait to drink it. Don't know when I'll be around to bottle it though, so it may still age in the basement for months to come.

So, the point of this thread is, is there ever a point in aging where I should add some more yeast to the bottling bucket? Or, has anyone ever done this in the past whose waited even longer than I?

Hey fellow Bobcat! In your case since you have cold crashed and aged for 2+ months I would add some yeast at bottling. I would just use some regular old dry ale yeast.. Maybe US-05.

The difference in clarity could be what part of the wort you got. If yours was the lower portion or second batch out of the brewpot then it could just be related to getting more of the hop matter and cold break. I personally wouldn't. There will still be enough in solution to get carbonation accomplished.

Whats the ABV? If it is in the upper 2/3 of the yeast tolerance and you have cold crashed + bulked age then I would not risk a 5 gallon batch on the old yeast at this point. Pitch some dry yeast (or liquid) that has the same or less attenuation then the original strain. I have experienced the same situation and did not repitch and my beer never properly carbed. If you did not cold crash or bulk age I say roll with the original yeast but the combination of both could potential cause carbonation problems.

So, the point of this thread is, is there ever a point in aging where I should add some more yeast to the bottling bucket? Or, has anyone ever done this in the past whose waited even longer than I?

There is a point where you should do that. I'm not sure this is it, but after the stress of getting cold (and going into hibernation), then warming back up, then sitting around for a couple months, I'm not sure I would trust the yeast to do their job as efficiently as you may want.

If I was in your shoes, I would cold crash first, and pitch a half pack of S-04 at bottling to ensure the vitality of your bottled beer. I'm in the "don't chance it when dry yeast is like $3/pack" crowd.

Back