Aging Toasted Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbies

Reaction score
Tried searching the forums, but couldn't come up with a definitive answer for this one.

Hoping to get a batch of Oatmeal Brown Ale going either today or tomorrow, and thought the toasted oats would lend a nice flavor. After doing some research it seems that most people suggest letting the oats rest in a brown paper bag for about two weeks to let some of the harshness dissipate.

I'm wondering if anyone has used toasted oats without letting them rest for that long and what the effects were. I'm really itching to get this brew started and would like to use the oats within a day or two of toasting them.

i've toasted oats and used them from 30 minutes later to two weeks later and i haven't noticed any harshness from them.

I think that as long as you're not toasting them to a dark chocolate color, you shouldn't have any problem using them freshly toasted.

Latest posts

Back