Aging on gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
How long can I safely age beer on gelatin? I would assume that since its unflavored, it wouldnt effect the beer.

I have a dubbel that I made almost 4 weeks ago. Everything went great, except I forgot to add the whirlfloc :drunk:! Anyways, its been in my primary for 4 weeks and I would like to transfer it to get it off the yeast cake, and to also see if it settled from the aging or if I need to add gelatin to get it to settle the proteins out. I had a fantastic hot/cold break, they just didnt floc when chilling and transfering to primary.

All of my kegs are full right now and I dont think I will be transfering the dubbel for a keg for at least 2 weeks. If the beer sat on the gelatin for 2 weeks (or longer) depending on how fast I drink, will it be okay?

Im probably being paranoid, but Id rather ask then take the chance of messing it up

I've used gelatin right in my kegs and have never noticed any off flavors, but then again my kegs don't seem to last for more than 2 months so I can't vouch for long term aging.

I think your beer will be fine.

I have used gelatin only in the primary and secondary..usually racked off within a week. I cannot see how it could cause any problems if left longer. If you are paranoid, just rack it off the gelatin to another container when you are satisfied that the gelatin has done its thing.

I've used gelatin right in my kegs and have never noticed any off flavors, but then again my kegs don't seem to last for more than 2 months so I can't vouch for long term aging.

I think your beer will be fine.

Thanks for the info. This is what I was most likely going to do, since I dont have the ability to cold crash all of my beers.

Back