Aging/conditioning beer at room temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuc224

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I know this topic has been talked about before but no one has a definite answer for it. I conditioned an imperial stout in the keezer at 40F for 6 months and it was good, but noticed that at month 8 it really started to hit its stride from good to great. Then i thought about doing it at room temps to speed up the process. So I made a westy 12 clone and its been conditioning at room temps (60-75f) constantly for the past 2 months. Is there any rule of thumb for this and how it works or is it just try and see what happens? All beer is conditioning on co2. Thanks all.

I'm sorry but I just looked at this because I saw it didn't have any replies. I myself don't bother with "conditioning" any of the beers I brew. As far as I'm concerned, all that stuff is for lagers. It has nothing to do with ales. In my opinion, and I realize it's just my opinion, any ale should be drank right at the peak of freshness which once again - in my opinion - is right when it's done fermenting. Slap it in a keg, carbonate it on about 40 lb for 24 hours and, drink the s**t! I go from Grain to Glass in 5 to 10 days.

Slayer im definitely with you on 90% of the beers i do. Do you do this with imperial stouts and begium quads as well? Those are the ones im talking about really. Thanks for the reply though.

I've never done a Belgium quad. It's not something that I am into after tasting a couple but, yes. Even on imperial stouts. There is no aging (which to me, is a less fancy word for conditioning) required as far as I'm concerned because, it is still an ale.
Don't let me stop you though. If it makes you feel better, you go right ahead and do it! Don't ever let anybody tell you that your method is wrong. What you're saying to do would work just fine. I just don't like the waiting and I don't believe that it's freshest at that point. I drink them as soon as they are ready. Whatever ready to someone else is, that's their own thing and I would never be negative to them for it.

Hi all, I know this topic has been talked about before but no one has a definite answer for it. I conditioned an imperial stout in the keezer at 40F for 6 months and it was good, but noticed that at month 8 it really started to hit its stride from good to great. Then i thought about doing it at room temps to speed up the process. So I made a westy 12 clone and its been conditioning at room temps (60-75f) constantly for the past 2 months. Is there any rule of thumb for this and how it works or is it just try and see what happens? All beer is conditioning on co2. Thanks all.
Agree. My stouts really begin to improve, last one came on at about 4-6 months.

Dark and complex malt bills I tend to condition for two to four months at room temp before trying them.

I opened a stout I brewed 3 or 4 years ago last week. It was amazing. That said aging doesn't necessarily improve the brew, it changes it. The changes could be to your taste or it could easily go in a direction that you don't like.
I forgot about a NEIPA I brewed last year - despite it being a style thats kinda meant to be drunk fresh, it's a fantastic beer. Not completely to style anymore but interesting and to my taste good.

Any brew, mostly stouts, above 8 abv goes down cellar for 4 months of ageing. Higher the abv , longer agetime.
10% and higher get 8 months tho I do sample from time to time.

I'm always impatient and drink bottled beers 2-3 weeks after bottling. I have noticed that some stouts and porters that I've brewed drastically improved in flavor after about 8 weeks and even a bit more 4+ months later. On the other hand, I started to keg part of my batches now and I've had light ales that seemed the same a few days after packaging as they were a few months later. So, I think darker, heavier beers may need longer IMO.

I'm always impatient and drink bottled beers 2-3 weeks after bottling.
Gets easier to resist once you get your pipeline going and have multiple batches you are drinking and fussing over.

At any time, I have about 6 kegs lagering, usually one batch in carboy and 3 batches in bottles.

This is how pervasive and distorting this hobby is. All of a sudden it seems normal to have 40-50 gallons of beer in the house!

Yep, usually have 10-20 gallons in bottles, at least 10 in fermenters, and beers planned for the availability of fermenters.
I also have a ageing rack where I save 6 pints off every beer brewed. After a while you will get a real appreciation for beers that age well and those that don’t.

and it’s fun!!!

I'm sorry but I just looked at this because I saw it didn't have any replies. I myself don't bother with "conditioning" any of the beers I brew. As far as I'm concerned, all that stuff is for lagers. It has nothing to do with ales. In my opinion, and I realize it's just my opinion, any ale should be drank right at the peak of freshness which once again - in my opinion - is right when it's done fermenting. Slap it in a keg, carbonate it on about 40 lb for 24 hours and, drink the s**t! I go from Grain to Glass in 5 to 10 days.
I've found that even simple ales will benefit by a few weeks at room temp, then another couple of weeks in the beer fridge. I've had a couple of batches that I might have thrown out had I not had previous experience with bottle aging ales.

Slayer, Deuc and others can drink their imperial stouts, or even porters early if they want but there is little doubt that the more complex flavors develop over time. If you are drinking an imperial stout mere weeks after packaging you are missing out on one of the beer worlds greatest treats. To each his own.

There's no black and white answer to this...

Storage temperature has a large effect on flavour stability, possibly even larger than oxygen contact. Because of this, most will say to avoid keeping the beer unrefrigerated for extended periods. I keep kegs that are not on tap yet in my conditioning fridge set to 34F (lower than regular fridge temperature of 38F). The colder you keep beer, the more it helps delay aging and slows down reactions that can cause the beer to deteriorate and go stale.

Some studies have shown that the staling reaction rate increases by a factor of 2-3 for every 18F (10C) increase in temperature. Because of this, beer stored just above freezing can remain flavour stable for many months while beer stored at room temperature may exhibit stale flavours after only a few weeks.

Now that said, there are some beers where the loss of freshness or deteriorated flavours is actually a good thing and part of the style. These are typically rich, high ABV styles meant for cellaring long term such as Barleywine, Russian Imperial Stout, and Belgian Dark Strong Ale (Quadrupel), to name a few. I would say that if you choose to cellar certain styles long term, the temperature be kept stable and at 55F or below. The higher the temperature, the faster the beer will age. Above 55F the aging reactions will occur at such a speed that undesirable off-flavours may be created.

My 2 cents!

Kal

Room temp needs to be defined.

For me, I bottle so all of my beers get 10-14 days (or longer if needed) at 70-72˚ and then move to storage. I have a basement room with a fridge, the room itself stays 60-64˚ depending on the season. A lot of my darker beers (stouts, porters, etc) will go onto shelves in this room and get slowly moved to the fridge as I drink them. There is a definite change over the 1-2 months it takes to finish them off. I find that some of the darker accents come through stronger (roastiness, coffee, etc), and the overall beer flavors blend and improve.

Belgians go longer, a few months in the cool room and then another month or two in the fridge. If they need longer cellaring, I have a wine fridge that stays at 55˚ that I can fill up.

Lighter beers, lagers, and IPAs usually go straight from carbonating temps into the fridge (38-40˚). If my fridge is full, some of the beers may get shelved for a week or two, but not longer. Lagers, Pales, etc seem to be happier developing at fridge temps. I still think that these beers taste better after a month or so of cold storage. IPA's may be the only exception to this, but I think even they seem best about 2-4 weeks out from finished carbonation. I don't have a way to store at colder temps than this right now, so I just lager longer at 38 or so and hope for the best. So far its worked.

I don't store anything above the low 60's except when carbonating and that has a definite time limit. That would be what I call room temp.

Room temp is well defined, it's what people consider comfortable:

Well in that case, I would not store beer at room temperature, except for carbonating in bottles and maybe a week or so longer if needed for whatever reason. I would cellar it or refrigerate it. Following this rabbit hole, there are a lot of articles out there on storing beer. Found this one that was interesting and echoed a lot of what has been said on this thread.

How to Store Beer

"There are 3 storage temperatures used to lay beer down for maturation and/or storage. Not only will you want store your beers at these specific temperatures, but also you'll want to serve them at the same. Your strong beers (like barleywines, tripels, dark ales) will be their happiest at room temperature (55-60F), most of your standard ales (like bitters, IPAs, dobbelbocks, lambics, stouts, etc) will be at cellar temperature (50-55F) and your lighter beers (like lagers, pilsners, wheat beers, milds, etc) will be at a refrigerated temperature (45-50F). Usually the higher alcohol, the higher temperature and lower alcohol, the lower temperature ... you get the point."

Last edited:
Back