Age cider until next Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolman

Reaction score
Planning ahead for next year. I'd like to make a gallon of cider for next year Christmas. What would a good For having it be right and good for this time next year? I'm thinking I'd like to use some mulling spices for 30 minutes and 5 minutes. Also going to boost the of with some white sugar that's been cooked and darkened. Also I'd like to use some oak.

Can I get some help with a recipe?

I'd say look into Edwort's Apfelwein. It's meant to be aged 6-12 mo's. Lots of people love it, it's inexpensive and it's easy.

Check my sig. :)

I usually make a 5 g batch of apfelwein every other year, and I do it the week between x-mas and new year, bottle it 6 months later and have it ready to drink the following Christmas.

It sounds like you are approaching this like beer - with 30 minute and 5 minute spice additions during a boil. If so, don't. Boiling cider will set the natural pectins, which will make for a very hazy end product. Besides you don't need to boil - most juice you start with is already pasteurized. If not, and you are worries about wild yeast, you can use some campden tablets. Think of cider more like wine than beer.

If you want to add spices, you can add them cold to the primary or later during the aging process. Or you could steep some in a small amount of warmed cider that you then add back to your batch. Or you could make a spice tea by soaking some in vodka for a Tewa days - week.

Back