Agave primer with no heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jints07

Reaction score
Hello all. Sorry for a rather noobish question but I can't seem to find a precise answer after multiple Google searches.

I did one of those Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gallon kits and just last weekend did the bottling step. Instead of using honey for priming, I used agave syrup. In the instructions for the bottling/priming step is said to "dissolve" 3 tablespoons in a quarter cup of water.

Well I'm no cook, so to me, "dissolve" meant that I should mix the water and agave together until it looked homogenous and then dump it in to my bottling pot.

But now I am reading other comments about folks boiling water to dissolve sugar when they are getting ready to prime.

Is the boil a requirement for all priming agents or for sugar only since it is in solid form? I.e. am ok in that I did not boil the agave syrup and water, or am I going to get flat beer?

Boiling the water for priming does help sugar or syrupy stuff dissolve easier.
But it's also to steam away chlorine & sanitize as well. I wouldn't worry too much,since you used such a small amount of water. and nasties have a low tolerance for alcohol.

Boiling the water for priming does help sugar or syrupy stuff dissolve easier.
But it's also to steam away chlorine 7 sanitize as well. I wouldn't worry too much,since you used such a small amount of water. and nasties have a low tolerance for alcohol.

Thanks!! :)

Back