Agave Lime Wheat.... any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbram

Reaction score
The Canadian summer is right around the corner, and some friends have expressed an interest in an agave lime wheat. I looked around the forums and saw that this has been tried, but not sure about people's success. Lots used limeade or lime juice, but I am going to go a slightly different route. Here is the recipe I came up with, and I would appreciate any input you guys could give. Some additional info: I'm not trying to be dead on with style, so I'm not so worried about my ABV being a little high-ish. The lime peel extract I am going to use will be of my own making (I have access to a Soxhlet Reflux extractor at work). Will Cascade play nicely with Saaz? I want to get a nice citrusy-ness on this one. Recipe copied and pasted from the recipe builder on Brewer's Friend.

:mug:

Aniversario del Presidenté - Agave Lime Wheat

Method: All Grain
Style: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%
Source: Island 17 Brewing
Original Gravity: 1.065 Final Gravity: 1.018 ABV (standard): 6.14%
IBU (tinseth): 14.79 SRM (morey): 3.63

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
7.5 lb Wheat 38 1.8 65.2%
2.5 lb Pilsner 37 1.6 21.7%
1.5 lb Amber Agave Nectar - (late addition) 28 0.5 13%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA Type Use
1 oz Saaz 60 min 3.5 Pellet Boil
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min 7 Pellet Boil
Mash Steps
Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- Decoction 152 F 60 min
-- Sparge 165 F 10 min

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Time Type Use
3 oz Lime peel extract 5 min Flavor Boil

Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Wheat Beer Yeast WB-06
Attenuation (avg):
72%
Flocculation:
Low
Optimum Temperature:
59°F - 75°F
Starter:
Yes
Form:
Dry

hops look good, lime peel looks good, if it is not lime enough, you can always play with it in a secondary or at bottling/kegging. IMO I would use more pilsner and less wheat, 60/40 wheat/pils at the most

Thanks Hopsalot... so if I went 6lb wheat / 4 lb pils, I should be good. I'm thinking of extracting the limes in vodka using some fancy lab equipment and adjusting to taste if needed. Have you experimented with agave at all?

No comment for the grain bill.

Someone in my beer club is making a Mexican Lager with lime in it. He used the zest of 2 limes. We bottled it yesterday. The lime smell was overpowering and quite strong in lime flavor. I'm not sure what 3oz equates to in # of limes. If 3oz. equals about .75-1.00 lime then I'm sure it will be fine.

I've had Breckenridge Brewing's Agave Wheat, and it's delicious. I personally don't care for lime, but I think it could work well with the agave as long as it's well-balanced.

I have used agave syrup in a belgian, could not really taste it, but it was a big estery high abv belgian

I just tried my first honey lemon wheat, and was happy with the result. I used 50/50 wheat and two row along with about 7-10% crystal 10,and 1 lb honey. I did the honey in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

For the lemon, I zested 5 large lemons and added it with the honey. It's got a pronounced lemon flavor, which I like, but to each his own. Next time I might cut the lemon by 20%,or add a little honey to balalce it better. There's a blast of lemon up front, with a very subtle taste of honey underneath.

I used tettnanger hops, which worked well, with a nice smooth bitterness. I think your hop schedule will work.

Back