Agave Apple Raspberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberlord

Reaction score
More tasting notes: While drinking a sample glass tonight after adjusting acid I noticed this wine reminded me of Pinot Grigio.

This recipe is sized for two 3/4 gal glass jugs the juice came in and needs to be adjusted slightly for a 1 gal batch. Use hydrometer to measure OG and adjust to 1090+/-.

I assume all proper sterilization/wine making techniques are being adhered to so they are not discussed.

Two 3qts glass jugs of organic apple juice/cider (6qts total)
12oz frozen 100% white grape concentrate (no preservatives! optional - SG boost = less agave)
12oz frozen 100% apple juice concentrate (no preservatives! optional - SG boost = less agave)
24oz frozen raspberries (mostly for color). Freeze and smoosh to release juice.
Agave nectar to 1.090
Pasteur Champagne yeast (or your favorite)
Additives: nutrient, acid blend, pectin enzyme, Camden tablet(s) all as directed

Reserve some apple juice for topping up.

Combine all ingredients except yeast in primary fermentor.

Cover lightly for 24 hours.

Add hydrated yeast or starter.

Primary ferment on fruit 3-5 days (7max)

Rack to secondary in about a week straining fruit.

Lots of lees from apple pulp so rack again soon after SG has bottomed out (30 days?).

Top up with reserved juice.

Continue to rack 30-60 days apart until no lees form. Mine cleared at 60 days/SG 1.002. Tasted at this point and it's drinkable if just a bit hot. Not too bitter, yet could use a little acid boost before I bottle. I'll add a bit of citric since I have it on hand. Would be better chilled.

Age 6 mos and bottle. If you want more raspberry flavor add syrup w/stabilizer to taste prior to bottling.

If final gravity is above 1.000 like mine, stabilize prior to bottling as added insurance.

Like all apple wine will be awesome at 1+ years.

Click here to see the log and photos of this batch.

427737_350459791641323_100000319141494_1231387_972337609_n.jpg

581517_400001076687194_100000319141494_1373634_1812941946_n.jpg

Drinking a sample I added too much acid too. The balance is much better in the jugs but will sample again in 30 days.

The sample like I said has too much acid but still drinkable but the acid is too high to quench thirst. Other than that it is smooth enough to drink at this point. Alcohol is not too hot in mouth but warms the belly well. I think at 6-12 mos this will be fantastic. The color is good, was better, but seems to be browning around the edges. Hopefully the acid adjust will curtail that. We'll see.

I was having some crazy ideas and wondered if adding a pack of jello (no potassium or recognizable yeast killers) to my primary fermentation would be detrimental to the outcome of my wine? Any thoughts?

Back