AG to Extract Conversion - Oberon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipflop

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew an Oberon clone for quite awhile now but haven't seen any recipes for extract so I am trying to convert an AG recipe from Cweston (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31422). Could i please get some feedback on whether this will work? Thanks.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: I heard Bell's using the same yeast to bottle condition that they use to ferment so I thought I would culture the yeast from a bottle.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010?
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 45
Color: 5 SRM

9.3# Wheat LME
.5# Carapils (steep)
.5# Munich (steep)

0.5 oz Hallertau 45 min.
0.75 oz Hallertau 30 min.
0.25 oz Hallertau 0 min.
1 oz. Saaz 0 min.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

orfy said:
Looks good to me.

But do you want to use ale Wheat LME? Why not part normal malt and part wheat like the grain recipe?

I was planning on using Northern Brewer's Wheat LME. It is 65% wheat malt and 35% pale malt. Is that enough pale malt?

I would suggest DME. I think you will get the color you are looking for better with LME. Plus, you won't have to worry about any off flavors that LME has been rumored to impart.

I might also suggest adding the 80+% of the extract late, this will require a slight reduction the hops but will prevent too much carmelization of the wort and a lighter beer. And by light, I don't mean really light but the color you are expecting.

i just brewed a wit last wk that i bottled last night that looked exactly like oberon
the extract
6lbs wheat lme
3.3 gold lme
.5 lbs carapils(steep and rinse)
add lme at 5 min left
the color for this is spot on for oberon:fro:

Beerrific said:
I would suggest DME. I think you will get the color you are looking for better with LME. Plus, you won't have to worry about any off flavors that LME has been rumored to impart.

I might also suggest adding the 80+% of the extract late, this will require a slight reduction the hops but will prevent too much carmelization of the wort and a lighter beer. And by light, I don't mean really light but the color you are expecting.

How does this look:

6# Wheat DME
3# Light DME
.5# Carapils (steep)
.5# Munich (steep)

I would use the 6 pounds of Wheat DME as the late addition (around 10 minutes?)

dipflop said:
How does this look:

6# Wheat DME
3# Light DME
.5# Carapils (steep)
.5# Munich (steep)

I would use the 6 pounds of Wheat DME as the late addition (around 10 minutes?)

I think that looks good. Suggest using beer software of your choice to make sure the late addition won't over do the IBUs.

Here's a recipe I found somewhere for an oberon extract clone.

3 Gallon boil
3.3lbs wheat LME
3.3lbs pale LME
12 oz Munich
8 oz Caravienne
4 oz Torrified Wheat

1oz Hallertau Hops (60min)
.5oz Hallertau Hops (30min)
.5oz Saaz Hops (15min)
.3oz Saaz Hops (5min)

Wyeast American Wheat Ale Yeast (WY1010)

there is also a recipe at http://www.theredsalamander.com/(S(elrkakr0y2gfiaav3ueyi0yq))/Recipe.aspx?ID=3 that I haven't tried

Beerrific said:
I think that looks good. Suggest using beer software of your choice to make sure the late addition won't over do the IBUs.

After looking at Beersmith and Promash I couldn't see how to enter a certain amount of DME as a late addition. Is there a common formula used for IBU's with a late addition?

Thanks a ton for everyone who has chimed in on this thread. I'm brewing this for my girlfriend for her birthday and want to make it as good as possible.

dipflop said:
After looking at Beersmith and Promash I couldn't see how to enter a certain amount of DME as a late addition. Is there a common formula used for IBU's with a late addition?

Thanks a ton for everyone who has chimed in on this thread. I'm brewing this for my girlfriend for her birthday and want to make it as good as possible.

Try this:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Specifically the table of gravity vs. time for utilization calc.

Back