AG equipment (because I just can't search that well)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've got ye-olde Christmas bonus coming up in about a month & a half. :rockin:

Without a SWMBO, legitimate child, or renegade debt to spend it on, I'm perusing the idea of either a kegerator or an AG setup, and as of right now, the AG setup is winning. (Convincing my landlord that I need 1/4 of the garage space is a whole other can of worms.)

So since I'm completely inept at finding the info I need on here (or on Guugle or YooToob), can anyone make a simple break down what else I would need compared to this list (aside from a Brutus stand I'm already looking at)??

6 gal. SS stock pot
6.5 gal. glass carboy
25' copper wort chiller
metal spoon (good forearm length)
(guessing) 7.5 gal. bottling bucket
assorted tubing, brushes, thermometer, hydrometer & other misc. crap

Forgive my noobishness, and may the brew gods smile upon you for any suggestions. :mug:

The trick is to buy gear that you can grow into. I would start by buying a 15.5 keggle. The bottom of the keg is domed which is not good, but the 15.5 volume will let you brew 10 gallon batches down the road. A 10 gallon gott water cooler with a false bottom makes a good MLT, will let you do 10 gallon batches if the gravity isn't too high. Blichmann makes some nice burners with stands that can fit the keggle on top. A big wooden mash paddle is nice because it doesn't conduct heat that well.

If money is no object just jump in and buy the brutus. You'll want one after awhile anyways. Blichmann makes some sweet tree stands which can be gravity feed, so you won't have to buy pumps or do any lifting. I would look into these because you can customize them to any set up you want.

It is all a matter of what you really want and what you want to spend.

If you're going to be using propane you should get a bigger pot than 6 gallons so you have flexibility in what you can brew. Big beers can be over that when you start the boil.
Here is a good mash tun write-up.

and of course, MORE CARBOYS!

Well......it's very difficult to prescribe for an individual when there are so many ways you can go. My AG philosophy would add to your list a propane burner (unless you have a healthy enough stove to brew AG indoors) and definitely a bigger pot. Six gallons isn't going to do a 5 gal. AG boil (which is about 6.5 gallons, the way I do it). I use a 30 qt. pot, which works fine with that much liquid, as long as I use Fermcap to quench the foam. As has been mentioned in previous posts, you will need an MLT (mash lauter tun) of some kind. I just use the common 10 gal. Rubbermaid / Home Depot cooler conversion). You'll find a helpful thread on this conversion under the DIY forum, and the conversion kit at Bargain Fittings (just Google it). I recommend a refractometer for determining the sugar levels in your wort, but you can use a hydrometer, it's just crankier to use.
As far as moving to larger 10 gal. brews, automated equipment, etc., well, I'm not into any of that, so I'll leave that to others to discuss. I'm strictly doing 5 gal. batches and use a K.I.S.S. philosophy for my brewing equipment and methods. Less may or may not be more, but it can produce beer that's every bit as good as the fanciest setups.

So I've got ye-olde Christmas bonus coming up in about a month & a half. :rockin:

Without a SWMBO, legitimate child, or renegade debt to spend it on, I'm perusing the idea of either a kegerator or an AG setup, and as of right now, the AG setup is winning. (Convincing my landlord that I need 1/4 of the garage space is a whole other can of worms.)

So since I'm completely inept at finding the info I need on here (or on Guugle or YooToob), can anyone make a simple break down what else I would need compared to this list (aside from a Brutus stand I'm already looking at)??

6 gal. SS stock pot
6.5 gal. glass carboy
25' copper wort chiller
metal spoon (good forearm length)
(guessing) 7.5 gal. bottling bucket
assorted tubing, brushes, thermometer, hydrometer & other misc. crap

Forgive my noobishness, and may the brew gods smile upon you for any suggestions. :mug:
As mentioned, get at least the 10-gal pot/kettle. Even the 8-gal pot is too small if you do a 6 gal batch and boil for 90 min. or more. I use an 8 gal pot and I often have to reserve 2-4 qts before it boils and then add it later after some has boiled off.

Get a wooden spoon or better yet a wooden mash paddle. It conducts less heat and is just cooler...just don't use it after the boil.

If you use liquid yeast you'll need to be able to make yeast starters. Ideally a stirplate and as large a flask as you can afford. IMO, this should be an early step/upgrade. It's my next upgrade and I brew as KISS as can be. Right now I'm using an old pickle jar.:(

If you are even thinking of going all grain, I'd buy this stand right now: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/stainless-brutus-stand-not-mine-orange-county-141337/

I would think you'd be able to make your money back if you decided not to do all grain. Had I not just bought a stand I would be all over this.

Kegs in San Deigo area are pretty easy to find. I was looking for them a while back and a lot were coming up in your area. I'd buy three and make keggles.

Also, as others have mentioned, if you are going to spend the money on an all grain setup, be able to brew at least 10 gallon batches.

it's not ironic, it's coincidental and very fortunate.

definitely get a burner. chances are your stovetop won't boil a full 5 gallon batch.

the sq14 seems to be a big favorite as far as the more economical ones go.

Thanks again elmetal-my electric range is more than a PITA when it comes to brew day. I've found that moving the kettle around the burner every few minutes gets a good rolling boil a lot faster than just letting it sit, so that's the strategy until I get a good propane burner.

My LHBS is big on AG supplies, so hopefully by NYE I'll be AG. :D

hell yeah!

I've also found that stovetop brewing is very specific to pots. I have a thin SS pot htat I can easily boil 4.5 gallons in (5 gal pot)

I also have a really thick nice sturdy 8 gallon pot that I cannot even boil 2 gallons in that same exact stovetop. the bottom is so much thicker.

the way to go is to try it on the tovetop, if it doesn't work, then get a burner.

or skip and get a burner so you can brew outside and see people! maybe even make a new neighborfriend

Just realized I used 4 acronyms in one sentence.
gu_lol.gif

Sadly I live in a condo complex, so most of the time my only 2 companions would be my landlord's 2 moronic Aussie shepherds.

aw that sucks! well, I don't know what to tell ya. I'm about to buy a burner and take it to my porch outside, but I was thinking of going downstairs and just hanging out brewing on the grass, maybe bring the bbq. I dont know. still thinking about it

:D I can't wait for the 2 cold weeks we get here in florida!
You ain't kiddin'! I'm gonna try to fit in as much ale brewing between December-March as I can because it's sooooo much easier to maintain ferm temps without constantly adding ice to a water bath. I'm trying to save the lager brewing for summer since it doesn't matter (lager fridge).

FWIW, I mash on the stove inside because it's cooler (usually), the pot is at a better height, and it's easier to maintain/hit temps. But I heat the sparge water outside on the propane burner and do the boil on the propane burner. The downside is that I have to carry a heavy, 3/4 full, hot pot from the stove to the back porch which is less safe than I'd like.

Back