AG Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoochNW

Reaction score
Just finished our second AG batch last night (Orange Ginger IPA). Our first AG went well but with all the excitement we failed to get our OG before we pitched the yeast so we were not able to figure our efficiency.

Ended up playing it safe for the second go and figured for 60% eff. Everything went super smooth and ended up with a OG of 1.072 (target was 1.062). ProMash is now telling me that out efficiency is 72% (stoked!). So my question is what would you guys suggest to use for our new efficiency percentage when making our next grain bill? Would rather play it safe than sorry and since it's only our second batch I'm a bit weary to use that new efficiency number. Thinking about dropping our efficiency 5% (67%) just to be sure we hit our marks on the next brew.
:mug:

I would say you can use 72%. If your next grain bill has more grain then what you just used, use 67%, if it has less, you can use 75%.

Sounds like I'll stick with the 67%...if I hit the 72% again I'll just have a higher gravity beer, nothing wrong with that :drunk:

i always use 12% as my number...I always overshoot it but damn I get a good "feeling" from my beer.....

But really, split the difference, that is what I did until i was hitting numbers that were only a point or two off.

Tim

Back