AG brewing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Whats the standard amount of time it takes to brew 5 gals of AG brew? using a 90 min boil. from start to finish

It will very much depend on your equiment and your process. My burner is somewhat inefficient, so it takes about 30 min to get up to a good boil. In California I would guess you wouldn't have any cold weather issue with trying to get things boiling. Are you fly or batch sparging? I batch sparge and that seems to speed things up a bit. I can brew a 5 gallon batch on my setup in about 5 hours, which includes the cleanup. My first shot took about 6 hours, but I've been able to streamline things and learned to take advantage of any downtime. YMMV.

I've made 11 batches of AG beer and I also use 90 minute boils. It takes approximately 5 hours from start to finish (including clean-up) to make a 5 gallon batch. Oh, and by the way, I fly-sparge ..... - GL63

For me, it's usually about 6 - 7 hours.
But that includes a 90 minute sparge, kegging a batch, racking another batch, and cleaning the carboys, and taking my time.
I could cut the time down considerably, but then brewday wouldn't be so relaxing.

-a.

I guess it usually takes me about 5 - 6 hours, depending on what else is going on in the house. SWMBO gets cranky if it takes too long, as she has to monitor the goings-on of the rugrat by herself when I am busy brewing. I just installed a skink in my basement, where I store all my brewgear, so that may speed things up slightly - it will certainly make life easier on me not carrying everything upstairs now.
I am still figuring out the logistics of my new "brew sink" - I installed a mixer valve some time ago, so I could get warm/hot water outside at the outdoor hose spigot (makes for easier outdoor brewgear cleaning - also good for when the dog gets sprayed by skunk, but that is another story alltogether) - now that I have the sink, I hooked up a washing machine hose to this mixer valve - on the end of the hose I put a regular hose sprayer to assist me in cleaning. Works pretty well.

No matter what I do it takes me 8 hrs to make a ten gallon batch. If I didn't leave the cleaning til last...
I use slow fires gently pushing my temps, same with the boil.
I once toured the old Heinikin brewery and feel that thaey too used 'slow fires'
Also run the first runnings through the filter bed for about 1/2 hr

Thanks guys, I have a 9 month old and just swithced over to AG. I havn't brewed this year! I work Sats so Sun is only day to spend w/ the fam or brew. My son usually wins that race. 8 hours is to long for me to spend brewing. Might have some brand new AG equip up for sale! No brews on it!

gabe said:
Thanks guys, I have a 9 month old and just swithced over to AG. I havn't brewed this year! I work Sats so Sun is only day to spend w/ the fam or brew. My son usually wins that race. 8 hours is to long for me to spend brewing. Might have some brand new AG equip up for sale! No brews on it!

Yeah,

Or you could just keep the equipment for later, and brew extract until you've got more free time on your hands.

Thats thinkin positive. The only prob with that is that my stand(3 tier) is big plus 3 kegs, chiller etc. Hard to store away. Just stares at me , wanting to be brewed on. HA Ha. Cheers Orpheus

gabe said:
Don't give up hope just yet - how much are you into brewing? Things with the little one will change- I know, I'm just starting to brew again with frequency, now that my daughter is almost 2. For a while there, I very rarely brewed, maybe 2 batches a year for the 1st two years (hard cider and summer light lager each year.) But, the brew bug has bitten me hard now, and I brewed three batches in 2 weeks. Can't wait for them to be ready!

My point: if you can, hold onto the gear - it's ok if you don't use it all that often. In a year or so, you may want to break it out and use it.

I averaged 2 brews amonth PM and I have read Brewmasters Bible, Designing Great Beers, How to Brew from cover to cover . I LOVE BEER AND BREWING. This bums me out, but thats life.

5-6 hours, with a 90 minute boil. I've done batches in 3.5 hours for a lower IBU brew using a 30 minute boil.

I guess I'm on the lower end. If it takes me 5 hours including clean-up, then something's gone wrong. Normally, it takes about 4 hours. I've got kids too, so 7 hour brew days would probably be a deal breaker for me. Well, at least a marriage breaker. :D

Lil' Sparky said:
...I've got kids too, so 7 hour brew days would probably be a deal breaker for me. Well, at least a marriage breaker. :D

Well said...I'm definitely in the same boat :mug: ...Im still trying to trim time off my brew day. I would love to get down to 4 hours.

A normal single infusion mash recipe, batch sparged with a 60 minute boil, plate chilled, including clean up, usually takes me 3.5 to 4 hours.

Of course I cheat a bit, as I pitch cold pitch starters, grind my grains ahead of time, use pellet hops, and am a nut about cleaning so the next batch can be started quickly. I usually have 3 or 4 containers of various sizes with sanitizer and such at the ready with my instruments and such soaking.

Mine usually take 6-7 hrs. By the time I weigh the grains and hops, mill the grain, 90 minute boil, as slow a sparge as I can stand and cleanup it's generally pushing 7 hours but I can work on other projects throughout like mowing the yard, taking the Vizsla for a run, or just lounging having a previous brew.

Back