After taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enyawgerg

Reaction score
I purchased a malt kit to produce a Mexican style beer. I followed all instructions. Primary fermentation was 2 weeks. After two weeks in the bottle, I tasted one. It did not have much fiz, so when I poured into a pint glass there was no head. It tasted a little more bitter than I would expect a corona type beer to taste. Then there was an after taste-metallic tasting?

I am hoping that if I give it a few more weeks the beer will mellow and also produce more CO2.

Anyone have an ideas on this?

I would give it a few more weeks. You may get more carbonation then. What temp. is it being stored (conditioned) in?

What type of water did you use? What kind of Kettle did you use on your boil?

Is the beer Drinkable in it's current state?

I drank a pint, but I just was not pleased with the aftertaste it had, and I was looking forward to sharing some with my budddies.

The temperature has been pretty consistently about 65. Should I move it to a warmer spot in the house?

I used tap water, which is from our well. It does not have an iron taste and it is neither hard nor soft. We have really great well water. I have used this water on previous batches of beer and wine, with success.

Two suggestions. First is get a water report. It helps to know what you're dealing with. You can just send a sample in a pint water bottle to Ward Labs for $25 or so. Google them. Second is to put the bottles somewhere at about 70-74F and they will carb faster.

I drank a pint, but I just was not pleased with the aftertaste it had, and I was looking forward to sharing some with my budddies.

The temperature has been pretty consistently about 65. Should I move it to a warmer spot in the house?

I used tap water, which is from our well. It does not have an iron taste and it is neither hard nor soft. We have really great well water. I have used this water on previous batches of beer and wine, with success.

Yes, warmer will encourage the yeast to consume the sugar an increase your carbonation. It also helps the beer mature.

It could be the well water. I would get it checked out. If your well is high in Iron content you can get some metal tastes in your beer.
I am assuming that this is a very light beer - like corona - Have your other batches of beer been that light? It is possible that the lightness of this beer is making the water flavors stand out more. If your other beers were stouts or IPAs, you may not have picked up on those flavors.

I'm just guessing here, but I really would get your water checked out, it is cheap and easy to do. As for now, I would get the beer to a slightly warmer location and sit on it--- hopefully it'll just clean up on its own. Good Luck!

If this was an extract kit, first thing I'd check is the age of the extract. LME that is old is well...twangy. If you get extract that is turned over and shipped quickly, you have an excellent brewing ingredient.

Second would be what type of yeast you used. If it was lager yeast then your ferment temps maybe in question, so too if you used an ale yeast I guess. ~ 50F for a lager yeast and low 60's for an ale yeast.

But anyway a light colored lager style is just hard to brew. I put it at the tops of the list. Cheers!

I have brewed an American Lager from extract and an American style beer extract. I also brewed an IPA from scratch. These three I was happy with. All those were 1 & 2 gallon batches.

This current batch in question, was a 5 gallon batch. The LME was well within the date. The yeast I believe was a lager, that I did ferment around 70F.

...The yeast I believe was a lager, that I did ferment around 70F.

You made yourself a "Steam" lager beer here. Depending on the yeast strain, they can be decent. But I would say in most cases not. 70F is too high for most ale yeasts (excluding some Belgians and Saisons), much less lager yeast strains that are meant to be fermented between 48 and 53F.

Did the yeast come from the kit as well? Do you have a link or brand name of the kit? Most "lager" kits I know still use a fairly clean ale yeast.

The current batch we are discussing was from a Muntons kit. Style "Mexican Cereveza"

Back