Affordable kegs and co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browerbp

Reaction score
Started the process of purchasing everything needed for home brewing and got to the keg and co2 tank setups. I feel like I've searched everywhere and couldn't find anything more on the affordable side without second guessing if something would leak or blow up. Any suggestions on affordable websites or places in eastern NC?

buy from a reputable site, get the co2 tank locally from your supply house since they come empty and many places do a swap out not a refill.

morebeer, ritebrew, homebrewing.org, williamsbrewing.com are all good for buying new kegs. I know homebrewing (adventures in homebrewing) has new Italian kegs....morebeer has torpedo's,

+1 on Ritebrew. Great pricing on kegging supplies, faucets, etc.

For kegs, AIH ^, used (4-packs) or new. Austin or Homebrew Supply also have similar keg deals from time to time.

New kegs become used ones after a few times, especially when you travel with them. ;)

Build your own keezer or kegerator. One of my friends has 12 taps coming through the wall, with 3 common, used (Craigslist) top freezer model fridges on the other side. Each hosts 4-5 kegs plus very cold storage in the freezer sections above.

Locally it's usually hard to find any brewing supply stores with decent pricing. Most are LHBS and their equipment tends to be much pricier than online. They won't sell you well used kegs for the going rate of $45-50 a piece, but demand $80 (or more) for those.

Look on Craigslist. And remember, Rome wasn't built overnight either, so take your time rounding up the right stuff.

I've been looking for one 5gl keg and one 5lb tank. Ordering online is cheaper until you pay shipping then it's pretty much the same as my local supply, which is about $85 a piece. These are the only two things I won't go to Craigslist for because of quality. Just wondering if I'm overlooking or not looking hard enough

Outside of some freebies from a friend to get started, thanks Rich, most of my kegs have come off Craiglist. It is good practice to ask why they are getting rid of them. I have had nothing, but good luck with the guys that say their wife told them to free up some room in the garage. One other thing to keep in mind is to plan for an end game and scour sites toward that. I really wish I would have gone the chest freezer route to allow for 4 taps and room for conditioning other kegs.

kegconnection has used pin-lock kegs for $35 right now. I've got several kegs from them and they are awesome. Shipping was quick and reasonable to East Tennessee, so probably similar to Eastern NC.

+1 on the keg connection!! On black Friday I got 4 kegs for $30 a piece plus free orings and free shipping. I've been slowly picking up pieces for a year now and I should be up and running for summer! Good luck

Back