Aeration vs. Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effington

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting one of these....

It's technically a wine degasser that you attach to a drill, and use to whip the gas out of wine. This I understand...

But some people use them as wort aerators as well and Midwest is even selling this one as a multi-use tool. Also, my LHBS sells them relatively cheap.

So, maybe it's because going for that business degree left me painfully deficient in chemistry and physics knowledge, but doesn't degassing imply that there is less gas (like O2)?

Or does the degassing process driving out CO2, leaving more oxygen? Do you use it differently, more toward the surface of the wort to make it foam rather than running it up and down as you do to degas wine?

I'm gonna try this but if you get a different answer go with that one....You need oxygen in the wort to help the yeast to work, Aerating the wort does this. You WANT CO2 in your beer but that occurs AFTER the yeasts have done their job NOT before fermentation. So using the gizmo you have will be fine for aerating the wort prior to pitching the yeast. And from my aquarium phase I THINK the oxygenation comes from breaking the surface of the wort ( bubbles in an aquarium) but you want to get it all through the wort so I would say move it up and down.

Yes, I should have clarified that one point... this degassing wand is used to get the CO2 out of wine after it has been fermented (because bubbles shouldn't be in anything other than sparkling wine). My concern is that using this before fermentation will do the same thing to the oxygen in the wort, driving it out as it does the CO2 in the wine... rather than introducing more oxygen.

Yes, I should have clarified that one point... this degassing wand is used to get the CO2 out of wine after it has been fermented (because bubbles shouldn't be in anything other than sparkling wine). My concern is that using this before fermentation will do the same thing to the oxygen in the wort, driving it out as it does the CO2 in the wine... rather than introducing more oxygen.

I am no scientist, but when I use my degasser, it appears to aerate the wine. I see no reason to use it on beer, except for the fact that it's tough to use in a bucket without spilling some.

I think that the answer really depends on how you use it.
If you spin it relatively slowly in a wine that has CO2 dissolved in it, then it will knock some of that CO2 out of the wine (hence degassing).
If you spin it fast enough in a wort that has no gasses dissolved in it, it will cause areation.

-a.

It works awesome. After nearly dropping a wet carboy while trying to shake it, I bought one. I have used it on many batches.

It will degas wine because there is very little CO2 in the air compared to in the wine. The CO2 WANTS to leave, and by agitating it gently, you let it leave.

It will oxygenate beer because there is lots of O2 in the air, and you'll run it faster, which will allow the oxygen to go into the beer, where it WANTS to be...by agitating fast, you're letting it get in easier.

Awesome, you guys have convinced me for sure. And since I still like to make wine occasionally, the degasser/aerator seems like the perfect investment.

Thanks... to you especially shortyjacobs. That explanation definitely makes sense.

Back