Quantcast

Blueberry/Pineapple Wine: Recipe, Results, Critique

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
368
Reaction score
4
Location
Anderson, IN
Recipe:

10 lbs - Frozen Blueberries
4 lbs - Fresh Pineapple
3.5 Gallons - Bottled Spring Water
4.5 tsp - Acid Blend
7 lbs - Table Sugar
Yeast Nutrient - per label instructions
Pectic Enzyme - per label instructions
Yeast - Lalvin 71B
Campden Tabs
Potassium Sorbate


OG - 1.080
FG - .996 (back sweetened to 1.008)
ABV - 10.7%

Process:

Let the blueberries thaw for an hour and then hand crushed them while still in the bag. Then added them to nylon mesh bag, in the fermentation bucket. Removed the skin from the pineapples (3 of them, as I recall), removed the cores, and then chopped them into 1/2" x 2" pieces. Added these to the mesh bag. Added 3.5 crushed campden tabs, 3 tsp acid blend, 2.5 gallons of water. Dissolved the sugar in the remaining gallon of water and added this as well. Let this sit overnight, covered. 24 hrs later, I removed 1 gallon of the must into 2 sanitized containers and put them in the fridge (this will be used to back sweeten). I aerated the must with a drill and degassing wand for a couple of mins then added pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and rehydrated yeast. Covered with lid and placed a sanitized rag over the hole.

Twice a day for the next 4 days, I removed the cover and aerated/degassed the must with drill and degassing wand, and resumberged the fruit. On the fourth day I checked the gravity and it was at 1.032. Decided I didn't want/need to degas any more so at this point I racked it into a 3 gallon carboy (no head space) and put an airlock on it. Airlock activity slowed over the next few days. I assumed (probably stupid) that the fermentation was nearing completion so I just let it sit for a month.

After a month, I took a gravity reading and it was at .996. There was about 3/4" of lees so I racked it into another 3 gallon carboy on top of potassium sorbate/potassium metabisulfite. Let it sit for another 2 months. After 2 more months there was only about an 1/8" of lees so I decided it was time to bottle. Into the bottling bucket I added a quart of the pre fermentation must that I reserved prior, another 1.5 tsp of acid blend, and 3.5 crushed campden tabs. Gave it a gentle stir and decided it needed a little bit more sweetness so I added another quart of the reserved must. Liked the taste, so went ahead and bottled. Ended up with (16) 750ml wine bottles.

It's about 5 months old at this point, and I am pretty pleased with the result. The blueberry seems to dominate the flavor but the pineapple is there and it seems fairly balanced/well rounded. That being said, this is my first attempt with a fruit wine and I'm sure that that there is room for improvement and that is why I am posting. Hoping to get some helpful feedback. Although any feedback would be appreciated. Will post some pictures here in a few.
 
Last edited:

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
350
Location
Pacific NW
The outside pic is gorgeous.

Did I read this correctly, 4.5 tsp of acid blend?
To me that sounds like a lot but The taste is what matters.
I’m currently fermenting a berry mix (blueberry and raspberry) and lemon verbena short mead. I haven’t added any acid yet but I’m assuming that’s because of raspberries.
 
OP
BWRIGHT

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
368
Reaction score
4
Location
Anderson, IN
Yep, that's what I ended up with. I went just based on taste because I didn't have a TA test kit. Guess I'll have to get one. I would also assume (certainly new to this so maybe not) that desired acid level would have to be considered vs. the FG. Meaning, if my FG (after back sweetening) was 1.004, then I would have used less acid blend. And if the FG was 1.012, I may have used a bit more. I was just looking for balance. Reading up still on the subject but for this particular (and my first) wine, I just went with my palate/personal taste. That was for approx 3 gallons of finished wine.
 

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 11, 2016
Messages
804
Reaction score
350
Location
Pacific NW
Yeah years ago a made a regular strength blueberry mead and was underwhelmed. It was ok but was a little thin and nothing remarkable. If memory serves, I was at 4lb of berries per gallon.

However, the OP’s addition of pineapple probably would have helped with the acidity and overall flavor profile.

While only slightly related- I am a fan of Two Towns pineapple cider. The pineapple adds a complexity and givesthe cider some body. Which I’m sure would translate to a fruit wine or mead.

I’ll have to remember this combo for future experiments.
 

Francis Eric

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
87
Reaction score
6
Location
U.S.A Aurora Illinios
Yes maybe next time I will keep to blend instead
Just aged it , and used it to get drunk

Nice I got these for free froma 15 foot Bog Blueberry tree
I think In Chicago(land) they thought there might have been bear scat spotted though on the bike trail
I ate a Large pop corn bowl of Spent Blueberries just to get drunk , and went on a nice bike ride.
 
OP
BWRIGHT

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
368
Reaction score
4
Location
Anderson, IN
I did think the thought of adding pineapple would help things. I can't say for certain as I've not made a plain blueberry wine; not sure that I would really. I was at 3.5lbs per gallon on this one. Seemed to be enough.
 
Top