Aeration Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Just used my O2 aerator kit for the first time today (welding bottle + regulator + diffusion stone). I guess I was expecting the O2 to be bubbling much more vigorously, but it was very gentle. I suppose my question is, what should one be looking for in terms of proper functioning of the aeration system?

I just let mine go very gently so the stone is full of O2 yet there is not a lot of foam breaking the surface. If it's breaking the suface to much you loose absorbtion of the oxygen into the wort. At least that is my theory.

So then I guess it's actually supposed to be gentle? I really only knew it was on when it took the stone from the wort and saw it frothing. There was an occasional bubble that rose to the surface, though.

I can get it to froth pretty well if I turn up the dial on the regulator. I turn it down to get to where I like it. I would adjust yours up until you see some O2 just breaking the surface of the wort.

Did you have your dial all the way open?

I can get it to froth pretty well if I turn up the dial on the regulator. I turn it down to get to where I like it. I would adjust yours up until you see some O2 just breaking the surface of the wort.

Did you have your dial all the way open?

Yeah, it was wide open. There were some bubbles breaking the surface, but nothing dramatic. There was froth already present from the pour, so perhaps that's why I wasn't seeing too much?

Yeah, it was wide open. There were some bubbles breaking the surface, but nothing dramatic. There was froth already present from the pour, so perhaps that's why I wasn't seeing too much?
That don't sound quite right.It should come out of there pretty strong turned all the way up. Maybe the stone is clogged?

The stone didn't seem clogged. When I pulled it to the surface, the stone was clearly putting off air (and the kit was brand new). Maybe I just thought I had it wide open? Who knows...next time around I'll play with the kit a little before hand.

the amount of bubbles and foam are directly related to the micron size of the stone. With my old 2 micron I could just crack the valve a little and it would bubble away. Same set up with the .5 micron I need to just about put it full on or it does just about nothing. .5 is used mainly to carb beer but I like the amount and size of the bubbles with the O2 tank. The .5 cant be used with a pump needs the O2 tank

You don't really want froth. If the O2 is running slow enough and the bubbles are fine enough it will just about all absorb into the wort which is what you want. Bubbles on the surface will pop and waste O2.

Oxygenation Kit

This is the kit I have, comes with the .5 micron stone. I'm almost positive I had the thing all the way open, and I was just barely getting some bubbling on the surface. Again, though, there was already a layer of froth on the top from me transferring it into the bucket, so it was hard to judge exactly what was going on.

You don't really want froth. If the O2 is running slow enough and the bubbles are fine enough it will just about all absorb into the wort which is what you want. Bubbles on the surface will pop and waste O2.

Mine puts out a boat load of foam. I always thought it was best that way but I believe your thoughts are correct. Maybe I'll see if I can open the regulator a little way to try to make it less vigorous. Thanks Bobby.

This is an old thread but I figured I would bump it instead of starting a new one. How long are you guys running the O2? I just got the .5 micron system with the disposable tank system. This one...

Oxygenation Partial System | MoreBeer

The instructions said to run it between 1-2 minutes depending on the OG of the wort. I ran it for a minute and a half for an OG of 1.058. It's been 14 hours and it still hasn't taken off. (I know rdwhahb but I expected a short lag using pure O2).

Answers to the inevitable questions: S-05 dry yeast. Hydrated at 75*. Pitched at 68*

I started using O2 at the same time I switched back to dry yeast so when changing 2 variables it makes it hard to evaluate. However both HG beers fermented out very well and within expected range. They did not start showing any abnormal early signs of fermenting but they just kept on going. It is a heck of a lot easier than the other methods of adding oxygen.

1 minute was all I used. The first time it frothed up a lot and the next time I controlled it better and kept the froth down. S-05 took a good 18 hours to show activity & S-04 was faster start up and finish.

I ask because I have had faster starts after shaking the carboy. Granted, I always shook the hell out of it... This is my first time using 05 though. I've used mostly liquids and notty up until now.

Back