Aeration apparently changing balance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
While I have no way to measure the microbial balance other than flavor, I do have pretty sensitive taste buds. What I am detecting is a change in balance as reflected in less complexity of flavor, specifically the acidity aspect of the flavor.

We know that there are two primary organisms that sour kombucha. Acetobacter, and Gluconobacter. They produce acetic and gluconic acid, which have different flavors. We also know that there are several varieties of yeasts, including a saccharomyces and Brettomyces. These and other organisms all produce distinctive flavors, just as the organisms in beer change the flavor profile. A change in flavor suggests a change in microbial activity.

It should be noted that there is a small amount of Xylitol in this brew, about 2T per gallon, which may be suppressing some of the yeast activity.

H.W.

Back