Aerated Carrot "Whisky" Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I am making Jack Keller's Carrot "Whisky" Wine (middle name is Whisky because it has wheat in it) and all was good and happily fermenting for about 10 days and time to remove the solids (carrots) but stupidly I had not put the carrots I pureed into a bag so when I went to siphon the first time it was the thickness of wet mayonnaise. Needless to say nothing siphoned.

So then I stupidly decided to try to pour it all into a brewing grain bag (only bag I had) but the bag got loose (it was draped around the top of a big pot) and the carrot liquid dumped into the pot. Then to make thing even worse I got a regular strainer (like you use for draining spaghetti) and then poured the liquid into the strainer and let it drain down into a pot.

So obviously there was a hell of a lot of aeration going on. Should I throw it out? Normally I would just stick with it but this has to age for at least 1 year so I really don't want to be waiting and wasting more time on something that won't taste good.

So should I throw it out?
And also does someone has an article about aeration during fermentation they would recommend as I am puzzled how oxygen doesn't just just bubble back up and out of the wort or must. I would love a scientific explanation.

Put it in a carboy with a liquid bung.
Shake it good before the bung install. If it gasses and bubbles a bit then keep it. A few weeks the less should fall out. If it does wait a month. Taste it. If it’s good give it a bit a bottle it. If it needs sugar add it.

I wouldn’t throw it out..

I am making Jack Keller's Carrot "Whisky" Wine (middle name is Whisky because it has wheat in it) and all was good and happily fermenting for about 10 days and time to remove the solids (carrots) but stupidly I had not put the carrots I pureed into a bag so when I went to siphon the first time it was the thickness of wet mayonnaise. Needless to say nothing siphoned.

So then I stupidly decided to try to pour it all into a brewing grain bag (only bag I had) but the bag got loose (it was draped around the top of a big pot) and the carrot liquid dumped into the pot. Then to make thing even worse I got a regular strainer (like you use for draining spaghetti) and then poured the liquid into the strainer and let it drain down into a pot.

So obviously there was a hell of a lot of aeration going on. Should I throw it out? Normally I would just stick with it but this has to age for at least 1 year so I really don't want to be waiting and wasting more time on something that won't taste good.

So should I throw it out?
And also does someone has an article about aeration during fermentation they would recommend as I am puzzled how oxygen doesn't just just bubble back up and out of the wort or must. I would love a scientific explanation.

The addition of sulfites will protect it against oxidation, it binds with the dissolved O2 & forms SO2.
Regards, GF.

The addition of sulfites will protect it against oxidation, it binds with the dissolved O2 & forms SO2.
Regards, GF.

Thanks! But the saga continues... I just racked it off the lees and the first gallon looks great (almost all liquid) but the second gallon (from the same fermentor bucket) is pure sludge in thickness. So I decided to pour that sludge back into the fermentor bucket and I added 1.75 gallons of distilled water and 1.5 gallons of sugar and stirred and recovered with a cloth. I’m planning on letting this ferment for about 10 days.

Do you think this soliloquy work?

Last edited:
It'll ferment, but I think you'll get a lot less flavor than your 1st bit. You might try cold crashing, or maybe even fining agents. I don't use fining agents, so I can't advise you on them, but there are many on this site who do, maybe they'll chime in.
Regards, GF.

Back