Advice on take keg on a trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
I am going on my yearly guys trip to the mountains to chill in a cabin for a few days. Trip is Feb6. I have got a Scottish wee heavy and a Citra iPA (5gal each). I have just put them in to carb in my keezer. Same pressure I normally carb at 13psi.

My intention is to leave them carbing for the next couple weeks. Then haul them to the cabin with no cooler and then just store them on the cabin deck during the day and bringing them in at night so they do not freeze. I will dispense thru a picnic tap.

I do not have the space or want to drag a can or cooler with me.

Do you see any problem with my thinking, pressure. Looking for those who might have done something similar. Kegs will be in car for 3ish hours.

Sounds good. Bring CO2. Maybe there is a part of the cabin that stays just above freezing. You may need to give some thought to elevation change if there is a very large difference, but that's all I can think of.

I am going on my yearly guys trip to the mountains to chill in a cabin for a few days. Trip is Feb6. I have got a Scottish wee heavy and a Citra iPA (5gal each). I have just put them in to carb in my keezer. Same pressure I normally carb at 13psi.

My intention is to leave them carbing for the next couple weeks. Then haul them to the cabin with no cooler and then just store them on the cabin deck during the day and bringing them in at night so they do not freeze. I will dispense thru a picnic tap.

I do not have the space or want to drag a can or cooler with me.

Do you see any problem with my thinking, pressure. Looking for those who might have done something similar. Kegs will be in car for 3ish hours.

Have not done it in years but a long as you temps stay about about 29 a full keg should keep from freezing for many hours. The emptier it gets, the quicker it will freeze.

If you yeast does not settle out as hard cake you will likely have yeasty beer pretty often.

You increase the odds of various c02 leaks in lines the more you move everything around so make sure it is all sound and figure out how to turn your keg into into a gravity fed cask in a pinch.

I use Homer buckets and ice when transporting. The CO2 cartridge chargers work well, but bring spares. I also like to cold crash the kegs, then transfer to another keg before carbing so the original silt doesn't get kicked up in transit. Have a great trip.

Worked out perfectly. The temp was perfect in the mtns and was able to leave them just on the deck. No need for extra ice or anything. 15 gallons GONE in a day and a half.

Back