Advice on new Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
So, I'm gonna have to take the plunge into all grain.....the only real thing holding me back is an inability to do large volume boils. I'm now in the market for a new brew kettle. Any advice on size and brand?? I know that I want one with a ball valve....that's an absolute must.

After spending way too much on inferior products, my advice is to just buy a Blichmann. Get the 10 gallon if you're doing 5 gallon batches. 20 gallon for 10 gallon batches.

I picked up the 40quart 10g polarware a while back. I then added the ss false bottom. I think what you want is a heavy gauge stainless pot. (I also believe in buying things once principal) Also dont throw out the thought of a keggle. (cheapest route to stainless) You can get a cheaper aluminum also if your budget cannot afford stainless.

Are you boiling inside or out? Turkey fryer?

My personal suggestion is you don't buy anything less than 15 gallons. I don't have a recommendation on a particular brand. Whatever you do, make sure the bottom is thick, more than 6mm.

I have several sizes and they all are useful for different types and sizes of batches but if I were in your spot I would have just gone 15 gallon aluminum (6 mm). People are really concerned about aluminum but any restaurant you eat at is probably making all their soups and stock in aluminum.

My advice is to get a stainless kettle of 10 gallons or more for 5 gallon batches. A ball-valve is almost mandatory. A thermometer is helpful, but not essential.

I don't think you need top of the line - the Blichman is very expensive IMO. Save your money for the wort chiller you're going to need.

FWIW I'm very happy with a 10 gallon Megapot with ball-valve only. $185 at Northern Brewer vs $310 for a Blichman.

Just got my 15g B3 kettles about a month ago and absolutely love them. The only thing I liked better about the Blichmann's was that you can hang the lid on the side (small detail I know). Otherwise, the B3 is similar quality and a good deal less money.

Just ordered the 10 gal Blinchman....can't wait to get it. Also picked up the Shirron plate chiller.....had to do something to chill all that wort;)
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back