Advice on having brewpub fill my corny!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longneck

Reaction score
I asked my local Brewpub, Olde Main, to fill up my corny. The Brewmaster said he used to have a tri-clamp to pin lock fitting to fill cornies but he no longer has that so he cant fill cornies. Any other suggestions on how to fill this?

maybe cut him a tube like what they use to fill growlers from the bottom but long enough to reach the bottom of the keg and have them fill it right from the tap?...ghetto i guess but it would work

Fill it off the tap with a long piece of proper sized tubing.

"I swear, I really made this beer!"

I'd be most worried about oxidation. I don't use corneys (sanke's here), but can you fill the keg with co2 and then push the beer in through the beer fitting while using the co2 fitting to bleed out the excess?

If you plan on doing it alot, you might ask what size tri-clamp he uses and make one yourself.

Yeah, if he won't make one, then I would work with the brewmaster to make one yourself. From a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense to turn away easy money like that. Especially when you're doing all the legwork.

Like someone else mentioned, run a tube into the bottom of the keg and rack some into it. You can purge it with CO2 before hand to minimize oxidation.

I asked my local Brewpub, Olde Main, to fill up my corny. The Brewmaster said he used to have a tri-clamp to pin lock fitting to fill cornies but he no longer has that so he cant fill cornies. Any other suggestions on how to fill this?

does he have the fittings to fill ball-lock kegs?

pin-locks are not as common, i wouldn't expect a brewpub to have that setup but i would think that they would be filling ball-lock kegs all the time..

Will oxygen trapped in the keg from the brewery to his home system even be a factor?

I say take a long piece of tubing with you, fill from the tap, close it up and get it home. When you get home, hook it up, pressurize, and pull the release a few times.

Absolutely not.

Thought so.... Oxygen takes time to work.

Just take tubing with you and fill off the tap. Purge when you get home.

But agree with davis_42, if the above doesn't work for him, he's just not into filling cornies.

But agree with davis_42, if the above doesn't work for him, he's just not into filling cornies.

+1 on that--- gotta remember, while it might seem like 'easy money' to sell someone beer in bulk, if he's used to selling his beer at $4 a pint and he's selling you a corney for less than $100 bucks, he's really not seeing the kind of profit margin he's used to.

Seems to me if you want to make it as painless as possible make your own adapter.

As a point of reference, our local brew pub, Walter Payton's Roundhouse, will fill a corny for $35.00 + tax.

Wow that is cheap. How's the beer?
And do they really clean your keg with no extra charge?

5 gallon Cornellius Kegs

o
Microbrew = $35
o
Rootbeer = $27.50

5 gallon Cornellius kegs can be filled with either the ball lock or tab lock. We don’t loan 5 gallon tanks, so it has to be your own tank. For example, a 7-Up or Coke Tank can be filled. If you bring your own tank, allow 45 minutes to clean, if dirty, & fill. Clean kegs can be filled usually within 15 minutes.

Could you get one of those corny lids w/ a hole in it, then make a BM bottle filler but on a larger scale?

You guys drink cheap! Most places around here are $4.50-6 for a standard 13 ounce "pint".

I go to a really cheap bar.

I sure wish that the 'imperial pint' system had made it over to the US. That crap where a drink is of variable size depending on where you are pisses me off.

When I'm evil overlord of the universe, there will be standard portion sizes universally and violators will be forced to eat the offending glassware.

Not that the glasses aren't 16 ounces, it's 13 oz. of beer and 3 of head. It's astonishing how much that last 1/2 inch tallies.

They distribute under the name America's Brewing Company if you have heard of that.
I was up there this spring for the Drunk Monk competition and of what I can remember, (there was a **** ton of beer to judge) only the uber hoppy beer had much flavor by lunch, but I distinctly remember some kind of chocolate beer on tap being a diacetyl bomb. Like holy **** this tastes like chocolate covered buttered popcorn. Unique.

They have a bourbon barrel stout sold in bottles that is tasty.

The bar I go to has ~75 beers on tap and always have a brewery or style of the month featuring three beers and three other specials each day. The featured and specials are $2 for 11 oz $3 for a 20oz mug or $7.50 for a 60oz pitcher. :)

Not that the glasses aren't 16 ounces, it's 13 oz. of beer and 3 of head. It's astonishing how much that last 1/2 inch tallies.

Understood.

I've also seen glassware used that was in the 'pub glass' size and shape that was not capable of holding 16 ounces of anything and passing them off as 'pub pints' or some such while serving you your pint in a 13-14 ounce glass (nevermind any headslop they add in).

I'm thinking the penalty for 2 offenses might be something like having a pint of beer served rectally... in the proper sized glass of course.

When I'm evil overlord of the universe, there will be standard portion sizes universally and violators will be forced to eat the offending glassware.

Go metric, young man! You'll never go back. 23L batches FTW!

And do they really clean your keg with no extra charge?

5 gallon Cornellius Kegs

o
Microbrew = $35
o
Rootbeer = $27.50

5 gallon Cornellius kegs can be filled with either the ball lock or tab lock. We don’t loan 5 gallon tanks, so it has to be your own tank. For example, a 7-Up or Coke Tank can be filled. If you bring your own tank, allow 45 minutes to clean, if dirty, & fill. Clean kegs can be filled usually within 15 minutes.

Yes they will clean and sanitize with iodophor while you wait no charge but I have always brought in a sanitized keg for them to fill. They do give the disconnects and their tubing a shot of iodophor before filling.

I really like the Aurora Amber. The recipe does change from batch to batch so it is always a little different, especially the hop character. Mike likes to brew this beer with high hop flavor and aroma. I always keep this one on tap and the other 3 taps are my home brew. I make sure to always tell guests this one ain't mine.

Back