Advice for contest beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ready to start brewing beers for entry into the National Organic Brewing Challenge, and I'm looking for some advice. I've had several beers place from 1st to 3rd in their style categories, but just can't seem to get them into the 2nd round (except for one). Last year I was told that one of my beers was actually 1 point away from the beer that won Best of Show. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on improving my entries. I'm and AG brewer. Thanks. :)

This is a pretty wide open question so advice could be all over the place. It sounds like you brew pretty good beer already. I'd say if you are looking to win you should enter as many beers as humanly possible. Judges all have such different palettes that if you can hit multiple categories you greatly improve your chances. This is what Kelsey McNair did with Hop-Fu. He intentionally brewed it to straddle the line between IPA and DIPA so he could enter it as both. It's worked really well for him too. Brewing Better Beer is another good resource to use. It talked about brewing one batch that can be finished multiple ways to give you the most chances to win.

After that I would suggest packaging/handling/storage of contest beers as being vital. I once had a beer score a 45 only to get a 32 the two weeks later. The 45 came from a local competition and went from my fridge to the brew stores fridge to the competitions fridge a few miles away. The 32 set at another brew store (not the same one) unrefrigerated and then took a ride 100+ miles (probably in some dudes hot trunk) across the Arizona desert. Competitions were close in size so that shouldn't have contributed to the free fall much. Anyways, I'd suggest trying to keep your beer cold the entire trip and if you can, personally deliver all entries if possible.

Thank you for your reply and comments, brewmeister! After I posted, I realized that what I was asking was a wide open question. I do realize that the judging can be very subjective. What I'm actually asking for is any insight or tips to help give my entries their best chance for consideration in the judging. Should I aim for the top or middle of the gravity or IBU range for each style? Are specific styles favored?

I havent entered any competitions but I'd agree on the packaging thing. It can be hard to ensure your entry is as fresh as the day you bottled it when its poured for a competition. I wish I had the fridge space to keep all my keg-to-bottle ones cold...

Thank you for your reply and comments, brewmeister! After I posted, I realized that what I was asking was a wide open question. I do realize that the judging can be very subjective. What I'm actually asking for is any insight or tips to help give my entries their best chance for consideration in the judging. Should I aim for the top or middle of the gravity or IBU range for each style? Are specific styles favored?

At the competitions that I've enter and judged at I've noticed stouts have done well, taking BOS most often, but that is a really small sampling size.

As far as gravity and IBU's go, I've had really good success pushing the limits on both (I do mostly IPA and its various iterations). However, it really depends on the judge's experience. If you get a very experienced judge with a good palette, you could be knocked for being out of style. But in my experience most competitions don't have a lot of top quality judges.

A couple things:

1)For strong beers in their appropriate categories; I try to figure out what the likely category size is and the bigger the category the further I push the gravity/strength/ibus (if appropriate) on the contest beer. My theory is that judges get palate fatigue (well that's not theory, that's fact...but I digress) and therefore you need a more standout example of the style for them to be wowed. IPA, DIPA and Barleywines are prime categories for this. I don't personally like the idea of entering one beer into two categories by strategy, just doesn't work for my ethics is all. One beer, one entry is how I do it.

2)Take on the responsibility of transporting your beer yourself if at all possible. You simply can not trust anyone to take care of your beer the way you'll take care of your beer. If they'd let me be steward (no reputable contest WOULD let someone steward a category they're entered in) and pour it for the judges, I'd do that too.

3) Plan your competition schedule out in advance. If you're gung-ho to win certain competitions or medals, make sure you're brewing beer at times that have them in prime condition for the contests. Beers that are old or hurried usually don't win.

Going with #3 above, What's the oldest or youngest beer any of you guys have medaled with?

Not necessarily gung-ho, but I've had 3 beers that took 1st in category , but weren't selected for final round judging. Of course I've read the judges comments and I'm working on changes/improvements based on those comments. The NOBC is the only contest I've entered beers into, and though it is national, it is not a big competition. Maybe I need to try a few other competitions for more exposure and contest experience.

Latest posts

Back