Advice concerning my new baby...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erw128

Reaction score
check her out:

DSCN0565 - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

I just bought her for $50 off craigslist. She is roughly 60yrs old. I plan on making a sexy kegerator out of her. Any suggestions on converting vintage fridges to kegerators, opinions on energy efficiency of these bad boys, color combination/design suggestions, or any advice that will make this a successful, smooth operation would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking 2 or 3 chrome taps, glossy jet black paint and lots of chrome. Just remember, she is almost 60yrs old so we have to be extra gentle...

DSCN0565.JPG

Nice score. I'd like to see a tall brass tower running along that groove. (elbow coming out of bottom of door) with 3 chrome/brass perlicks. It would be very unique.

otherwise.. Door and sides gloss black with the center an off setting color like gloss white.

I like brass with gloss black better than chrome.

That will be cool. I am sure the efficiency is terrible relative to a new fridge/freezer but you probably knew that. Most of those old refrigerators have a pretty small box. How many cornies will fit inside?

Be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

While they look cool, the power consumption on them is horrible. Thanks for undoing all that we are trying to do to conserve energy. ;)

BTW anyone seen the new Clean Coal commercial? They have this aerosol can of soot that they keep spraying around a house, touting the cleanliness of "clean coal"... it is hilarious!

Yes. Don't destroy the antique!

Just my opinion though.

Domminigan, I'll sell it to you for $400, otherwise I'm taking the drill to her.......

Also, is anybody talking about energy inefficiency from actual experience or are they just assuming it is bad? I read a post somewhere that the guy's new "energy star" turned on like every 20mins, but his vintage fridge only had to run like 20seconds every 2-3hrs and therefore cost him less. I would really appreciate it if someone had some actual numbers.

I can definitely fit 2 cornies in here, 3 may be a squeeze, but I think it might be possible

DSCN0565.JPG

Nice score. I'd like to see a tall brass tower running along that groove. (elbow coming out of bottom of door) with 3 chrome/brass perlicks. It would be very unique.

otherwise.. Door and sides gloss black with the center an off setting color like gloss white.

+1 just don't forget to rough up the surface before painting

Domminigan, I'll sell it to you for $400, otherwise I'm taking the drill to her.......

Also, is anybody talking about energy inefficiency from actual experience or are they just assuming it is bad? I read a post somewhere that the guy's new "energy star" turned on like every 20mins, but his vintage fridge only had to run like 20seconds every 2-3hrs and therefore cost him less. I would really appreciate it if someone had some actual numbers.

I can definitely fit 2 cornies in here, 3 may be a squeeze, but I think it might be possible

If the efficiency is important to you you could plug a kilowatt meter into it and find out exactly what it is drawing.

I've never seen a stand up fridge with a tower coming out of it... might be pretty cool... add an extra 150 to your project but might be worth it...

Latest posts

Back