Adventure Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmartinez

Reaction score
It's been a while since my last brewday, and my good friend Joesph came to town for a few days, so I decided to fix that little problem. A few weeks ago, I decided an IPA would be my next style. Today's brew, however, is more an Adventure Ale. Why is it an Adventure? I have no idea what is even in it, beyond the hops.

I took a drive down to DeFalco's, and again spent more than I planned. Two one-gallon glass carboys, with stoppers and airlocks, came home with me. I also picked up a stopper to use when I finally start bottling from the keg. Whoever helped me at DeFalco's took off grabbing ingredients when I said I wanted to brew an IPA. I failed to get an ingredient list, and I certainly did not get what is in any of their recipe kits online, so beyond knowing I used 1.5 ounces of Columbus hops, an ounce of Centennial hops, and an ounce of Cascade hops - I really couldn't tell you what I did.

Given that I had no idea what was in the specialty grain bag (though my best guess is 2lbs pale 2-row, .5lb Carapils, .5lbs Crystal60L), I just took a SWAG and heated 2 gallons of water to 150°F and steeped for 25 minutes. I definitely got color from the specialty grains, a very dark amber. Anyway, from there I brought my volume up to 6 gallons and stirred in my unknown amount of liquid malt extract (I also don't know which variety LME I used, I seem to recall seeing pilsner on the side of the barrel it came out of, but who knows). Once everything was dissolved, I kicked up the heat and brought things to a heavy boil.

After the foam dropped, in with an ounce and a half of Columbus hops. 40 minutes later, an ounce of Centennial went in, and at flame out an once of Cascade. Something, that'd be my tongue, tells me this was entirely too much alpha acid. Entirely. Too. Much. Makes for good pictures though.

All things considered, I will be very surprised if this beer ends up being drinkable at all. That said, it wasn't a complete waste. Joseph got to experience a brewday and see how things generally go together and make beer. Carrie got to participate too, via Skype, by telling me just how much fun it was to watch "brown water boil." I will leave the fermenter in the closet, and keep an eye on things, but I am not expecting to get a good beer out of this. Time will tell.

Well, if you had a 1 hour boil it looks like you broke the century mark for IBU's, more like the 130 mark. Sounds like a bitter bomb!!
Who knows, you may be on to something!
Kind of scary on the whole ingredient thing, the not knowing what it is part anyway!
Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm all kinds of unsure what went on here, care to discuss how you got your IBU number? This was meant, allegedly, to be an Imperial IPA. The hops I got, and the hops listed on DeFalco's site for their Imperial IPA recipe are not the same - but I'm assuming the malts are. The steeping bag was fairly large, and the LME bucket was quite nearly full (so perhaps we're looking at 8.5lbs Pilsner LME). That said, my boil gravity was around 1.052 and I ended up with a OG of 1.054 once I brought volume back up to 5.5gal in the fermenter. With the recipe (and style) calling for an OG north of 1.070, something certainly was not right. Testing the hydrometer in 60° water, again, verified that it isn't on crack. Something clearly is though!

As usual, any input is quite welcome. I will definitely not be flying by the seat of my pants like this again in the near future, but if any of you seasoned pilots care to share some knowledge I'd appreciate it.

I have Brewsmith software and just punched in the amounts of the hops and the boil times for each, again assuming a 1 hour boil. The number I got was 131 for the IBU's but of course that is based on the Alpha numbers pre-existing in the software. Your hops AA numbers could be even higher!
Hmm, just for fun I input your numbers on LME and grain and got estimated 1.074og. It looks like you are close for the sugar estimates but the 1.054 actual does look a little low. Only thing I can think of is maybe less than 8.5lbs LME??

1.054 should still give you plenty of goodness though!

With all commotion last week, I almost completely forgot I had beer fermenting under my stairs! The Adventure Ale (so named because it really doesn't fit any particular style, nor do I know with any certainty what my fermentables were) had been doing its thing down there for more than two weeks. Given the attenuation expectations of the yeast I used and my final gravity reading of 1.009 (temperature corrected) I decided to go ahead and rack to secondary.

The beer was already very clear, but in an effort to minimize any sorts of sediment I'm going to be using secondary regardless of whirfloc use (or non-use). To my surprise, the time it spent in fermentation calmed the incredible level of hop flavor down a good deal. It still certainly has a hop bite, but that bite is replaced with an interesting malt character on the aftertaste. I don't know what to think about that, but I imagine with proper carbonation this will end up with a unique mouthfeel. I can definitely live with that.

Back