Advanced Homebrew Skill Quiz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you can answer the q below in a timely manner, you earn your black belt of homebrewing.

Question 1)
Convert the following to all grain….
3.5 lbs Munton & Fison dark malt extract syrup and
2.5 lb plain dark dried malt extract

In all seriousness, I misplaced my old brew book and I wanna brew a batch of Papazian’s Vagabond Ginger Ale.
It’s been a few years since I brewed this. It’s an excellent beer for this time of year.

I need to know what type of grain as well as amount.
A path to getting the type(s) of grains appears to be available here: Dark Malt Extract | Muntons Malt

Or, if a similar product is similar enough, then Briess has information on their traditional dark DME/LME here (link).

The LME product description contains this:

1637348544841.png

Assume a basic 'two row brewers malt' for 'base malt' & you should be good to go.

So your batch you made last year didn't pan out? Or you never attempted?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/extract-to-all-grain-conversion.680857/
Holy ***t!
So your batch you made last year didn't pan out? Or you never attempted?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/extract-to-all-grain-conversion.680857/
Holy ***t! I completely spaced this. Like I said, I misplaced one of my old brew books and couldn’t remember the grain conversion.
Thanks for reminding me, and for making me feel old.
Do you still wanna take the quiz?;)
Thanks everyone for your collective brain power.

ps- this recipe always turns out great. My batches have had inconsistent ginger flavor. I think it’s bc I use fresh ginger. So I now add 4 oz of fresh to the boil. I then fish it out of the trub and put in fermenter.
I also have a jar of tincture I can use if the flavor is lacking.

Thanks for reminding me, and for making me feel old.
Do you still wanna take the quiz?;)
No quiz for me. I'd fail for sure.

I'd be able to come up with the numbers your first testee presented, but not having any idea about malts over and beyond what a recipe specifies, nor any idea what Munton & Fison dark malt extract syrup might be might be made from, I'd just be guessing.

About the time you made that other post, I'd been thinking about a ginger beer and had read that along with all the other things I googled at the time. I've never made a ginger beer yet, though I'd like to eventually get around to it. I do remember reading it back then but wouldn't have remembered it if it hadn't been for google.

The older post of yours I quoted was just a find in a current google search wondering if there was a clone all grain for Munton & Fison dark malt extract syrup .

No quiz for me. I'd fail for sure.

I'd be able to come up with the numbers your first testee presented, but not having any idea about malts over and beyond what a recipe specifies, nor any idea what Munton & Fison dark malt extract syrup might be might be made from, I'd just be guessing.

About the time you made that other post, I'd been thinking about a ginger beer and had read that along with all the other things I googled at the time. I've never made a ginger beer yet, though I'd like to eventually get around to it. I do remember reading it back then but wouldn't have remembered it if it hadn't been for google.

The older post of yours I quoted was just a find in a current google search wondering if there was a clone all grain for Munton & Fison dark malt extract syrup .
Brew it you won’t be disappointed. Papazians book was a huge part of my early brewing. There’s a lot of good, albeit old school, recipes in there. Sure, there’s tons of newer and fancier recipes available to us now but his are all solid, good drinking beers.
As far as the Vagabond goes- imagine a simple Porter w a ginger kick.
Rocky Racoon also never disappoints if you’re looking for a beer that really allows ginger to be a main player(it’s the ginger variation- I don’t have the book in front of me).

Many of these beers I brewed when I was only using extracts. And damn they were good beers back then and I still crave them now.

At the risk of sounding old, there’s part of me that misses brewing and drinking beers that only called for cascade hops and “ale” yeast.

Latest posts

Back