Adnams Southwold Brewery - Produces Carbon Neutral Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Biomethane is the new in thing. I heard a story on npr's weekend edition not too long ago about a dig park where people put their pups poop in this vat and biomethane is naturally produced and burned in the lamps so more dogs pooping means more light I think it's cool a brewery is taking the same approach

Bio methane is and has already been perfected in I believe Thailand. A few years ago I was watching a special on this very thing.
They went on to show that the ENTIRE ranch was run by bio methane. They even had the equations figured out as such (all based on at least 1 elephant): 1 elephant eats X amount of grass a year and produces Y amount of dung. (So they know how much room/land the elephant requires.) The ranch hands would litterally follow the elephant arount and wait for it to have a bowel movment. They would take the BM to a concrete trench where they used water to send it to the "processing tank".
They would process this into bio methane. The ENTIRE RANCH was powered by this to include, generators, stoves, HAVAC and even the vehicles were refitted to run on tanks of liquid bio-methane. This was a fairly large operation I do not remember how many people lived on this ranch but it was more than 8 and they said that they could run the ranch with only 1 elephant but 2 gave them a nice buffer and room to expand/stockpile.

Latest posts

Back