Adjusting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan75

Reaction score
Bells brewery in Kalamazoo does a annual homebrew competition and when they do it they give the brewers 5 gallons of wort. If I want to adjust that wort for gravity and flavor what would be the best way to do so? Remash with that wort and my grains or run a separate mash and combine the two before going to the boil kettle? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Depending on the beer style you could add sugar or extract. It really depends on the rules of the competition. You could even do a high gravity mini-mash to blend with it.

I would prefer to stick with all grain so I can adjust to get the fermentables where I want it for the beer I'm going to submit. Only stipulation is it needs to be repeatable to brew on their system.

Beersmith is going to be your friend here. What you'll do is take a portion of the pre-made wort and add your newly mashed wort to it to get a different base. The problem is going to be that you won't be able to go 100% wheat, Pilsner, MO, or anything like that.

We're doing the Bell's thing too. Unless I get better info, I'm just running with simple pale malt with a 1.050 OG as my Beersmith base. From there, I can dilute, add, etc. I have not looked at all the rules, but the reproducible one seems to be the big thing. Plus, the quick turnaround (6 weeks) will limit some styles - especially if you bottle condition.

Good luck.

Back