Adjusting grist ratio for seasons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody changes there grain to water ratio from winter to summer? I've realized I have a difference in my boil-off. I'm getting an average of 80% efficiency with my set up. I also change my ratios based upon the style of beer and it seems to be fine so far. I don't think I'm going to change anything but wanted to know what other people do from season to season.
Cheers.

I don't. I use a thick mash for British beers, and a thinner mash for all others; but I never change it from season to season. I've also never noticed a difference in the boil off rate, but perhaps that's because I don't pay enough attention.

-a.

I realized I need to Sparge less/or boil longer due to a 2qt difference. Its minor. This is my first spring/summer all grain so I was curious on any adjustments.

Yes I do mean water to grain ratio. I usually do qt/# on my dark beers and 1.15/# on all others.

I think the only reasons to measure volumes of water is when using salts/water chemistry, and expected cost of water use. Other than that I eye ball it and follow the advise given above.

Back