Adjusting for a full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevej21

Reaction score
I'm just about finished with my keggle, and am waiting to brew up two mini-mash kits I have untill it's done. Here is what I have,

Blonde Ale- 2.5lbs grain, 4lbs extra light dme, 1oz cascade 60 min, 1oz willamette 5min

Porter- 3.5lbs grain, 3lbs extra light dme, 1lb amber dme, 1lb corn sugar, 1oz newport 60 min.

Both call for 2gal steep and a 3gal boil, should I steep in the full volume of water I plan to use? I was thinking about 7gal. And should I make any adjustments to the hop additions?

I'd recommend using all 3gal for the steep, or better yet use the 2 gal then rinse the grain in the extra gal at 165-170F.
With the hops; if you were trying to get 50IBU's or more you'd have a much easier time with more water so you'd need slightly less, but it's hard to say exactly how much. But for these beers that's not really a problem anyway, so just use the same amount.

Latest posts

Back