Adding vanilla to a smoked porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Hey all. I bought a smoked porter kit and was wanting to add vanilla to it. Since I make two beers at one time I'd like to avoid secondary but if I need to I can postpone the second batch. What do you all think would be a great way to introduce the vanilla. Primary, secondary, beans, or extract. I'd like a moderate vanilla flavor to complement the smoke flavor. Pretty much I'd like to get close to Stones SVP. Thank you in advance.

I just brewed my first stout yesterday (also my own recipe so I am not sure how good my advise will be) however, I want to add vanilla and german nerd that I am I either make my own extract or use bean.

I'll wait how it tastes once the primary is completed but my idea right now is making vanilla sugar (Fill sugar in a mason jar add one vanilla bean and let the sugar adapt the flavor) and add that when bottling instead of priming sugar.

Secondary isnt need just get a few beans split and scape them add them to a starel jar with some vodka or burbon. Once ferm is done dump it all in for a week or so.

I usually just add beans to primary but another option is to add a quality extract at packaging. This is also a nice way to do it because you can add to taste. Remember that vanilla flavor will fade with time, so don't worry if you go a little heavy on it.

I use a vanilla puree from my local spice shop. It really gives me a natural vanilla flavor, and it's easy to control the amount. And I don't have to deal with the beans. Check your local spice shop to see if they have something similar.

Pure_Vanilla_Puree.jpg

https://www.redstickspice.com/collections/extracts/products/pure-vanilla-paste-4-ounces

Thanks for all this guys. I forgot to mention that I keg so maybe the extract idea could be better. I'm just curious on how much.

Thanks for all this guys. I forgot to mention that I keg so maybe the extract idea could be better. I'm just curious on how much.

It's a personal taste thing so there is no correct answer. Just what you like.

I posted something similar on another thread. Start with a tablespoon, stir (with a sanitized utensil) and taste. Keep adding to you are mostly happy (to avoid overdoing it)

Keep good notes when you tap and adjust accordingly on your next brew.

Vanilla is cool that with just a hint it brings out other flavors (a trick chefs use) and of course more will enhance flavors. Even when it drowns out other flavors it's still good - just not what you were seeking.

Also, when you do tap it, try adding incremental drops to a glass to compare how you like additional vanilla flavor to the brew

It's a personal taste thing so there is no correct answer. Just what you like.

I posted something similar on another thread. Start with a tablespoon, stir (with a sanitized utensil) and taste. Keep adding to you are mostly happy (to avoid overdoing it)

Keep good notes when you tap and adjust accordingly on your next brew.

Vanilla is cool that with just a hint it brings out other flavors (a trick chefs use) and of course more will enhance flavors. Even when it drowns out other flavors it's still good - just not what you were seeking.

Also, when you do tap it, try adding incremental drops to a glass to compare how you like additional vanilla flavor to the brew

What do you think about adding beans to the keg? Once primary is done rack it to the keg and toss in maybe four beans. Doubt they'd get sucked up in the dip tube right? Of course the steep in Vodka thing would work just a well too I guess.

What do you think about adding beans to the keg? Once primary is done rack it to the keg and toss in maybe four beans. Doubt they'd get sucked up in the dip tube right? Of course the steep in Vodka thing would work just a well too I guess.

I used vanilla beans for a cider - two sticks for a gallon. In that case I scared and steeped the beans along with some other ingredients in hot water to make a tea (about a cup) and added it to the apple juice. (recipe from Mary Izett's Speed Brewing book) Came out really good.

I've done a number of smoked porters/stouts. I'm hooked on maris otter for the base with briess cherrywood smoked malt and then mixing up other combinations, however you have me thinking vanilla. I have one in the fermentor that I lost track of what malts I had - so it was sort of kitchen sink beer that by luck hit the OG, I might as well do the vanilla thing before I keg.

:tank:

How many batches of beer will that bottle last for?
Hi. I find that 2-3 tsp of high quality real vanilla extract/5gal is usually more than enough, so that bottle will last for a whole bunch of batches. If you want the real numbers, 4 fl oz = 24 tsp, so at 3 tsp/5gal, that's 8 to 12 - 5 gallon batches. Ed
:mug:

Hi. I think you'd do better with real Vanilla Extract or Puree. You can control the outcome much better than with real beans. I've found the beans are really inconsistent for the amount of flavor and/or aroma you get from bean to bean. As mentioned by several posters earlier, extract gives you much better control and is easier to use. Good luck with your brew! Ed
:mug:

ETA: BTW, if the vanilla flavor really fades in the keg, it's not hard to crack it open and give it another shot of extract.

How many batches of beer will that bottle last for?

It really depends what you're going for. I used 2oz of it in my last batch of coffee porter that I kegged last week. It's a lot, but I also used a lot of coffee too, so this really rounds it out. In other beers, I may only use 1/2 oz. And we'll use this for making ice cream and in other desserts as well, so we always keep a bottle or two on hand.

Latest posts

Back